Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

praveen taneja

Re: Gold, buy or sell?

Physical Gold is probably better. In principle, investment in Gold is done for securing ones wealth in case the electronic/the paper monetary systems go kaput. It is the ultimate avenue.

Gold ETFs are only convenient in transaction and there is no fear of theft. But, for the long haul physical gold is best.

Finally, Physical gold attracts taxes on purchase and sale, which ETF doesn't. If you plan on selling a portion when prices go up, then buying that much ETF is sensible. While the rest should be in Physical.

Nice Point TP.
Sorry to coming in betwen you two intelligent guys of TJ is not it when we buy physical Gold jeweller give us 6-700 costly then mkt price and when we sell they give us rate less then mkt tried that and later settled on MCX Goldpetals margin required per gm is 140/ approx but I leave Rs 1000 so no chance of volatality margin call by broker:) God Bless us all

jamit_05

Re: Gold, buy or sell?

Sorry to coming in betwen you two intelligent guys of TJ is not it when we buy physical Gold jeweller give us 6-700 costly then mkt price and when we sell they give us rate less then mkt tried that and later settled on MCX Goldpetals margin required per gm is 140/ approx but I leave Rs 1000 so no chance of volatality margin call by broker:) God Bless us all
It makes sense from the shop-keepers point of view. Even if I buy from the main distributor in the wholesale market in Zaveri Bazaar, Mumbai, he will have a spread like every market maker does. It is their main source of income. This spread is around Rs.150 on 10gms (approx 28000). Around 0.60%. This is equivalent to the brokerage+expense in ETF. (This is for coins/bsicuits, not jewellery.)

So, even if there is a difference, it will be minor, considering the holding period as upwards of 3 years.

praveen taneja

Why are you guys buying gold? If I remember correctly, Warren Buffet was always against buying gold or any other commodities.
When big money say avoid BUY and when all says BUY just AVOID simple following the rule can give good money

Yesterday ashwini gujral said sell punj lloyd at 42 tgt 30 and I bought at 42.75 now its at 43.75 tgt would double then his tgt:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: soon

When big money say avoid BUY and when all says BUY just AVOID simple following the rule can give good money

Yesterday ashwini gujral said sell punj lloyd at 42 tgt 30 and I bought at 42.75 now its at 43.75 tgt would double then his tgt:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: soon
I'm kind of skeptical on these "market experts". I listened to these guys and bought Punj Lloyd at 127. Now look at it. Thank god for stop loss.

praveen taneja

I'm kind of skeptical on these "market experts". I listened to these guys and bought Punj Lloyd at 127. Now look at it. Thank god for stop loss.
Bro you bought then there were few things which you did not checked

paralised Govt
Hopeless PM
shy FII and other investors
droping INR
Growth moving south now all opposite

even susu is selling like petrol nowadays:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

praveen taneja

What if gold price falls further? As you suggested somewhere earlier in this thread, why not buy good companies at cheap prices and go long on them?
Bro he told to accumulate as SIP so in case of fall we can have lower value gold
production cost of Gold is around 1250-60$ thats why it is taking support around 1280-90$ major fall IF came would revert soon on lack of production as no one going to produce in loss
Here in India gold coming down only bcoz of strengthening of INR which is going towards 52-53 which can take gold to 23-24000 IF spot remain same:)
Just my view lets wait for jamit bro to reply as more chances are of me being wrong:p

jamit_05

What if gold price falls further? As you suggested somewhere earlier in this thread, why not buy good companies at cheap prices and go long on them?
As I understand it, the definition of the concept of "Investment", what it means to me is:

Invest only in those instruments and only that much amount, so that the falling prices do not make you nervous.

Here I would like to take a line or two from what Charlie Munger and WB keep saying, that, if their investments fall they are even happier as they are now getting something good for even cheaper.

Gold is said to find bottom at 2000 (Goldbees). I will keep buying in SIP at lower rates or at a month of consolidation.

I believe Gold is a "good company" and is currently NOT EXPENSIVE as it has lost 20% from the top. Dollar, over the long term has only appreciated against the rupee and gold, in itself has only gotten expensive overtime.

Last edited: