NIFTY Futures Mechanical Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.

jace48

hi thanks for your great work
i have a doubt,if nifty trade will below suppoet levels given by you on a particular day and one want to initiate fresh position..which way he should approach
as the case of today 3/06/08 u said support of 4698 ..it traded well below 4680 till 1pm ..what is best way to approach this kind of situation..either to go short or long
please help
sorry if asked a dumb thing
My recommendation. Don't take any position and wait for next reversal. i.e Currently the position is short wait until you get the long signal and then proceed.

hi thanks for your great work
i have a doubt,if nifty trade will below suppoet levels given by you on a particular day and one want to initiate fresh position..which way he should approach
as the case of today 3/06/08 u said support of 4698 ..it traded well below 4680 till 1pm ..what is best way to approach this kind of situation..either to go short or long
please help
sorry if asked a dumb thing
Here's the funda: when you're short, you don't care about supports - you care about resistances. Because you get stopped out only when resistance is broken. Support breaking is in your favour.

When you are long it's the other way around, you care about support as if it breaks you are hurt. Resistance breaking is irrelevant.

So here, don't bother about the support. The support exists for a small reason - the reversal. If the resistance breaks you haev to go long, so you go long with the support as stop loss. If the resistance does not break, don't worry about the support. (opposite with longs)

Two things now. 1) Get in only at the next reversal, or
2) go short anyhow, now, with 4780 as your stop loss. It's a smaller stop in comparison with most days but you will benefit if there is further free fall from here.

You have to choose what you want. Either ways, do not go against the system.

start reading .........

nadodav

NIFTY FUTURE For June 5,

Current position : SHORT (at 4865 on 29/05/2008)

Nifty Fut Closed at : 4568.75

Profit/Loss in current trade : +296.25 (as per last closing price)
Net Profit/Loss since thread started : +1776.25 (1480.00+296.25)

Support : 4553
Resistance : 4686

Hold SHORT position with SL 4686. If trades above 4686, exit SHORT & go LONG with SL 4553.

Happy Trading.

Vinod

Hi Vinodji,

Thanks for your nifty guidance.

Actually i was thinking, that can we buy options at resistance
with support as stop loss ?
For example, if nifty trades above Resistance 4686, can we buy Nifty
Options Call at 4600, 4650 or 4700, with keeping the stop loss 4553 as
support ?

Or shall we trade in Nifty Futures only.

Kindly guide.

Awaiting your response,

Thanks & Regards,
Rajat Gupta

nadodav

Hi Vinodji,

Thanks for your nifty guidance.

Actually i was thinking, that can we buy options at resistance
with support as stop loss ?
For example, if nifty trades above Resistance 4686, can we buy Nifty
Options Call at 4600, 4650 or 4700, with keeping the stop loss 4553 as
support ?

Or shall we trade in Nifty Futures only.

Kindly guide.

Awaiting your response,

Thanks & Regards,
Rajat Gupta
Dear optionstrader,

This mechanical system should not work with index options as good as index futures. Near expiry, options position will incure more losses than futures even market may not moving either way. so i think it is better to trade future only. Mr Ravalsb may through some light as he is trading options using this method. options can be use definetely to lock profit whenever we have good amount of profit say 300-400 points.

Happy Trading

Vinod

Options could be a complex exercise.
Option premium paid includes an intrinsic value and a time value. Time value decays down to zero on expiry. Any longs will have to take this into consideration. Time value also decreases towards deeper in the money. So the amount of profits in futures may not / will not be equal to the futures move. For example, if Nifty moves 50 points, the option may not move 50 points (moves around 30 pts, just to give you an example - also depends on where the strike is). But the profit percentage can be substantial due to lower investments. With current levels of volatility, during beginning of the month, if you are buying in the money as mentioned, you may have to cough up premium almost equal to futures margin! Of course, you can take the reverse, and, write options with time value working for you!

A small note - if you intend trading options in Nifty go for strikes of multiples of 100, and, NOT the in between 50s, where the volumes are low, spread is high.

However, with an excellent system like Nadodav's, option strategy can be formed, which could minimise loss and maximise returns. You need to be dynamic, and, need to change course during the day - that is my view. But before getting in, you need to be quite conversant in options. I have posted some material on options, maybe from cboe, quite old though. It is in 4shared, search for obook.zip.

Last edited:
Hi Thetrader & Vinodji,

Thanks for helping me understand.
Thetrader, i could not understand this line "
if you intend trading options in Nifty go for strikes of multiples of 100, and, NOT the in between 50s, where the volumes are low, spread is high.

Could you please explain this clearly or with an example?

Awaiting your response,

Thanks & Regards,
Rajat Gupta

Status
Not open for further replies.