Day Traders Lounge.

AJK

The scary part is not about migrant distress or sad images. The scary part is that even after witnessing such scenes, this still is an "unpopular opinion".
I think by imposing lockdown immediately, we were able to reduce the spread even to these people. Imagine if we took time first to convince and transport migrant workers to their rural homes, they'd have caught infection and problem might have extended to rural areas also that have very less facilities for mass hospitalization and treatment..

I think nobody had any idea anywhere in the world of what to do at that time.. maybe this was the only solution PM had at the moment, and imposing it at the right time might have helped to reduce the severity i think.. if it was someone else, they'd also been forced to do something like this and had to answer for it later i think.

Last edited:
I think by imposing lockdown immediately, we were able to reduce the spread even to these people. Imagine if we would took time first to convince and transport migrant workers to their rural homes, they'd have caught infection and problem might have extended to rural areas also that have very less facilities for mass hospitalization and treatment..
Any reason why their migration now is more safer than, say, two weeks ago?

AJK

Any reason why their migration now is more safer than, say, two weeks ago?
I think maybe because we've successfully isolated infection to zones now, and so migrants on less vulnerable areas may be able to travel. And also because of their agitation as we've seen, and refusing to authority, beginning to walk to their homes...

Last edited:
I think maybe because we've successfully isolated infection to zones now, and so migrants on less vulnerable areas may be able to travel. And also because of their agitation as we've seen, and refusing to authority, beginning to walk to their homes... You know walking 1000s of miles, they were innocent to believe that's their only chance... Who gave them this idea in the first place? to walk States back to their homes. People could have instead arranged for at least one-time meal for them and convince them to obey the instructions of authority, don't you think so?
Migrants are mainly traveling from Maharashtra, Delhi, Gujarat etc. One could hardly characterize them as "less vulnerable areas".

"Who gave them this idea in the first place?" I see a paradox when the same individuals are considered intelligent enough as voters bestowing historic mandates, but need instigation when it comes to self-preservation and survival. That aside, this is also a big failure of communication, for which the media is chiefly responsible. Even slum dwellers were banging utensils and lighting lamps. If the same intensity was put into communicating matter of importance to them, may be the loss of confidence in government would have subsided.

"People could have instead arranged for at least one-time meal..." - Lets not labour under the illusion that this wasn't done. This was done everywhere. In fact, if the 1st lock-down period was successful it was largely due to the efforts of private individuals. But individuals are handicapped by their resource-limitation. Governments are not bound by such restrictions of finance, being sovereign. An empty stomach is the failure of state and central governments, with greater onus on the latter.

AJK

Migrants are mainly traveling from Maharashtra, Delhi, Gujarat etc. One could hardly characterize them as "less vulnerable areas".

"Who gave them this idea in the first place?" I see a paradox when the same individuals are considered intelligent enough as voters bestowing historic mandates, but need instigation when it comes to self-preservation and survival. That aside, this is also a big failure of communication, for which the media is chiefly responsible. Even slum dwellers were banging utensils and lighting lamps. If the same intensity was put into communicating matter of importance to them, may be the loss of confidence in government would have subsided.

"People could have instead arranged for at least one-time meal..." - Lets not labour under the illusion that this wasn't done. This was done everywhere. In fact, if the 1st lock-down period was successful it was largely due to the efforts of private individuals. But individuals are handicapped by their resource-limitation. Governments are not bound by such restrictions of finance, being sovereign. An empty stomach is the failure of state and central governments, with greater onus on the latter.
i think migrants coming back now need to undergo 14-day quarantine in their respective states before going to their homes.

i think it's not about who, there's so much fear everywhere, uncertainties... i think media has limitations to reach out to these people... these people would rather watch and believe in the conspiracy theories spreading around through whatsapp and such... maybe that was the reason for this confusion/misunderstanding, leading them to do the exodus back to homes...

i think migrants coming back now need to undergo 14-day quarantine in their respective states before going to their homes.

i think it's not about who, there's so much fear everywhere, uncertainties... i think media has limitations to reach out to these people... these people would rather watch and believe in the conspiracy theories spreading around through whatsapp and such... maybe that was the reason for this confusion/misunderstanding, leading them to do the exodus back to homes...
Both your points have been addressed in my previous posts. I'll just highlight them here.

"i think migrants coming back now .... going to their homes" - Again, I go back to the question in my first post - why could this not have been done, say, two weeks back or four weeks back?

"i think it's not about who.... media has limitations... conspiracy theories... media has limitations... exodus back to homes" - Again, I go back to the question in my second post - if clapping, lamps could be communicated with such effectiveness and penetration across social strata, why weren't these other things not communicated with equal vigour - the mediums of communication being the same (traditional and social media). Edit Addon: environments with vacuum of information is a good-breeding-ground for misinformation.

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
Before making lockdown decision, they could have discussed with various stack holders. for example Transport, Labour union etc. Politicians make decisions without discussing them with experts in all fields affected. Govt made right decision to lockdown based on scientific data. However they forgot to thing about other factors with Indian side.

Whatever happened is now in past. Whats needed is rapid response force to tackle this mess. Its simple to order every DM and Village panchayat to ask help migrants who are walking to be at single point where they could catch bus to train station and commence further journey.

There are several people who are commenting and suggesting same to govt twitter handle, if only they listen logically. Just saying that Centre has released 11,000 Cr rs to states to help migrants shelter and 3 meal a day will not work. How many of use believe state govt will be using this money with immediate effect?

Many NGO's, Hotel owners, Wedding Hall owners are coming forward to give their premise free of cost to migrant workers as well as for people who are in quarantine (based on my home town example) . We all know what will happen to money released, it will vanish into think air without any single rs spent on welfare of migrants.

Coming to point again, instead of passing money to states, faring migrants to nearest town, from there by bus/train to their home town should be the focus.

AJK

Both your points have been addressed in my previous posts. I'll just highlight them here.

"i think migrants coming back now .... going to their homes" - Again, I go back to the question in my first post - why could this not have been done, say, two weeks back or four weeks back?

"i think it's not about who.... media has limitations... conspiracy theories... media has limitations... exodus back to homes" - Again, I go back to the question in my second post - if clapping, lamps could be communicated with such effectiveness and penetration across social strata, why weren't these other things not communicated with equal vigour - the mediums of communication being the same (traditional and social media). Edit Addon: environments with vacuum of information is a good-breeding-ground for misinformation.
"...why could this not have been done, say, two weeks back or four weeks back?" : Maybe because we didn't know whoever are contracted infection and what are the necessary things to do... this was an evolving situation, and i think authorities were learning what to do, especially having to handle 130cr people... we should stand in their shoes and think, before blaming..

encouraging healthcare workers gave a tremendous effect in the large population to be aware of the seriousness of the situation and take effort collectively to tackle the crisis... we haven't had a pandemic in a century, so nobody in the world was prepared for this in fact.

local authorities were also struggling without any cue what would happen and what to do.... can i ask a simple question? Did you know what to do when the pandemic happened? What would you have done and what would you do in the current situation? Please explain.

AJK

For future, what we need is a committee of people from various sector Defense, Humanitarian fields, scientists, health, and also religious heads who are available at short notice, without pay, to come and think for solutions needed in such cases using their expertise of the field.
yes, i think it's a must... we should include our intellectuals from every sectors, tech, science, health, defense, to lay out a plan as to how to move forward and what are the most appropriate decisions to be made.. US already have this, to protect their jobs, it's a must for the economy to revive..