TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software)

DSM

Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

TP,

Modem, installation are included. It is a personal modem (WiFi) So can be used for multiple devices.

Hathway ?? Are they giving you a personal modem (non-shared) or is it a shared connection (over LAN) ??

DSM

Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

A tip for faster internet connectivity :

Have been advised by a cable technician that connecting to internet thru a cable rather than wifi, will speed up internet experience. This is commonsense as well, as depending upon the placement of router, signals can become weak if having to pass thru walls or other obstacles.... :)

DSM

Finally, got Hathway Broadband installed. Below is the speed test results.

DSM

Am using Quick Heal anti-virus. The problem I find with it is that it does continuous scan, which I find slows down other processes. Also, it has Adobe like features on steroids :lol::lol::lol:, which results in 'updating' software twice a day :( I at times disable scanning, especially when trading so as not to be impacted with untimely updates or scans.

There is another quirk of Quick Heal - to warn that the site that I am visiting may be harmful. Have got this pop up even when visiting Zerohedge, Huffington post, Tinypic etc.... The site name mentioned is different from the one I am visiting. Is this something to be concerned?

amitrandive

Am using Quick Heal anti-virus. The problem I find with it is that it does continuous scan, which I find slows down other processes. Also, it has Adobe like features on steroids :lol::lol::lol:, which results in 'updating' software twice a day :( I at times disable scanning, especially when trading so as not to be impacted with untimely updates or scans.

There is another quirk of Quick Heal - to warn that the site that I am visiting may be harmful. Have got this pop up even when visiting Zerohedge, Huffington post, Tinypic etc.... The site name mentioned is different from the one I am visiting. Is this something to be concerned?

DSM

Sometime the virus definitions on Quickheal act weirdly.At times I was not able to open Moneycontrol site too or any finance related site.

Click on "If you think this is a mistake ,to report click here" and inform Quickheal about it.

Alternatively you can raise a ticket on their support
http://www.quickheal.co.in/support-center-faqs

Or call them up and resolve this issue.Just a 5 minute thing for their tech support.:)

DSM

Went to MTNL office to cancel the internet connection and return the router. For cancellation, they wanted one original request and two copies. Got the same done. Handed over the router to the first person who accepted it without a question. Same case with with the person who I had to log a cancellation request. I thought to myself - typical govt. office.

However after completing the formalities as I was on my way out, an elderly employee came to me with the router in hand and asked - 'Sir, why you want to cancel your connection. You have returned the router within a week and I am feeling bad.... Please do not disconnect your internet - you can give a disable request and keep the router with you for no charge. And whenever you want, we will enable connection back immediately'

Made me to think atleast this person cares about customers... a few rare gems who work to earn their bread and do not take the well paid govt jobs for granted. It is not hard to think that most of the well paid government employees (where even clerks who must be earning close to a lakh of rupees or over per month) do not just care.... though there are a few exceptions....

Reminded me of the time I was travelling abroad and had booked a ticket thru Air-India. At that time, we had to personally go to the office to confirm our ticket. I had a long wait at the Air India office, where there were more employees than customers, while the office staff chatted and went about their activities without a bother. Finally when I got my work done after a long wait, I resolved to never travel by Air India. However, the inflight experience was totally different. The much maligned air-hostess were courteous, helpful and gave a great service..... Though my experience and image of Air India had soured by then and I never travelled by Air India again.....

We live in a day and age where electricity, internet, quality of connectivity, service, reliable technical fall back are important or even critical..... though we take this as implied and for granted when they work. It is only when we require these - and they are missing is when we realize their importance..... :)

vijkris

Learner and Follower

hi
in AP circle reliance netconnect+ stopped working. after enquiring cust care they said that cdma network is being upgraded to 4g.
it seems existing modems will become useless after jun 3 and we have to compulsorily move to 4G. and buy new modems :annoyed:

Tp bhai and others wat is the situation in ur place?

hi
in AP circle reliance netconnect+ stopped working. after enquiring cust care they said that cdma network is being upgraded to 4g.
it seems existing modems will become useless after jun 3 and we have to compulsorily move to 4G. and buy new modems :annoyed:

Tp bhai and others wat is the situation in ur place?
In Delhi the dongle has been showing red light and the connection is very very poor since Monday. It was ok on the last Sunday.

I keep getting SMS about "Your 4G Sim has been despatched" since 3 weeks now, but not received it either at Surat or Delhi. In Delhi I may shift to another network.

In Delhi the dongle has been showing red light and the connection is very very poor since Monday. It was ok on the last Sunday.

I keep getting SMS about "Your 4G Sim has been despatched" since 3 weeks now, but not received it either at Surat or Delhi. In Delhi I may shift to another network.
You have to get a 4G SIM card from nearby reliance stores and if you are existing customer of Reliance net connect they give you this SIM card free.After that go to their site and give number of that SIM card and the old dongle in online updating form and buy a 4G device which they are giving at discounted price of Rs 899.Netconnect has stopped working now.

Smart_trade

Relliance 4G is completely WI-fi and it may not have a USB port to which I can connect my desktop through a LAN cable or USB .Desktop does not have Wi fi card and I am told you get some adopters which can catch the Wi fi signals and feed the desktop through a USB port,like small adopters we get for wireless mouse. I don't want to lose my trusted workhorse desktop.

Has anyone tried such adopters .?

Smart_trade