Trading with OBV - for Beginners only !!

monkeybusiness

On March 23rd, price and OBV in BNF were speaking different languages I think, am I correct?

Today in NF one min also same I think.

Please correct my understanding if wrong. This is only an observation and I have high regard for Varun Ji and I like OBV cos it looks like it can make things easy.
Can you please post the charts with markings. I could spot some divergence in NF post 2.30 PM.

As an intraday system, we should test atleast 12 months (preferably months that include low volatility, ranging, high volatility, trending(volatile/non volatile).

Whenever i backtest an intraday system, i include 2-3 months from second quarter of 2012, aug/sep 2013, some months from 2014/2015, 2 months from 1st half 2016 and 2 months from 2nd half 2016. This would encompass almost all the conditions nicely.

As VJAY said, it must be completely mechanical. No discretion or ambiguity in what pullback is ..it should be clearcut as 'PB to 36ema or no trade(just to give an example). As i mentioned in some other post, discretion is reserved for experts and not for amateur traders like me :(
I am ready to back test the setup manually. All I need is some one defines the following :

Time Frame :
Exit Criteria :
SL:
TSL:
Tgt :

I had done a manual backtest for almost 1.5 years on another Trading System in another thread which actually opened everyone's eyes. The system had a fantastic result in 1 quarter but when i did the back test on 1 year data it was completely different. I am not trying to say that the system is not good but it is always good to have a larger picture which would give confidence to trade.

So if anyone is interested i am ready to invest my time and effort to manually backtest and share the results.

Cheers,

vijkris

Learner and Follower
OBV is already traded by few guys earlier(before Varun Ji)-

http://www.traderji.com/amibroker/88187-obv-breakout.html
Bhai the thread u mentioned has hardly 3 posts, whereas the "real" obv thread has >3,000 posts. :p

Real trading and explanation was done in varun ji's thread. :clap:

Out of those 3k posts, I think only Tuna, xray, wisp, vjay, ST, Happy, understood the system..:lol: :rofl:
EDIT: Monkey business also understood.
Rest all might be Jumping into other systems.. :D

TraderRavi bhai said correctly - "Jab koi naya system lata hai, Kuch din ke liye bhid jama hota hai, phir gayab ho jati hai, phir koi aur naya method layega, fir bhid jama ho jayegi and the cycle continues " . :lol::lol:

Last edited:

deepsat

Bhai the thread u mentioned has hardly 3 posts, whereas the "real" obv thread has >3,000 posts. :p

Out of those 3k posts, I think only Tuna, xray, wisp, vjay, ST, Happy, understood the system..:lol: :rofl:

TraderRavi bhai said correctly - "Jab koi naya system lata hai, Kuch din ke liye bhid jama hota hai, phir gayab ho jati hai, phir koi aur naya method layega, fir bhid jama ho jayegi and the cycle continues " . :lol::lol:
Hi vijkris,

Sent you a PM requesting a favor. Can you please look into it whenever you find time?

Thanks !!

VJAY

EDIT: Monkey business also understood.

na bro :)..I too understood what you understood :) yes am watching it with my existing method...lets see what edge I get from it ...need more days to find it so learning process going on with you guys :)

vijkris

Learner and Follower
Hi vijkris,

Sent you a PM requesting a favor. Can you please look into it whenever you find time?

Thanks !!
Hi,
Ya I saw ur pm. Nowadays my pm replying ability has reduced a lot. :(
Last night I replied aja bhai's query which was 2 days old. :lol:

Btw u said something abt alerts.. Go to this post.. there the afl already has bluetored and vice versa alerts..

http://www.traderji.com/beginners-guide/104279-trading-obv-beginners-only-8.html#post1216476

Regarding backtest results, I have posted the real pic only.. there is nothing more to add in it..
Hope this answers ur pm... :D

vijkris

Learner and Follower
I am ready to back test the setup manually. All I need is some one defines the following :

Time Frame :
Exit Criteria :
SL:
TSL:
Tgt :

I had done a manual backtest for almost 1.5 years on another Trading System in another thread which actually opened everyone's eyes. The system had a fantastic result in 1 quarter but when i did the back test on 1 year data it was completely different. I am not trying to say that the system is not good but it is always good to have a larger picture which would give confidence to trade.

So if anyone is interested i am ready to invest my time and effort to manually backtest and share the results.

Cheers,
@ Vjay sir, wisp sir, or any one who know the answer, pls fill in the blanks..
I filled the first one which was easy. :D

Time Frame : 1 minute
Exit Criteria :
SL:
TSL:
Tgt :

wisp

@ Vjay sir, wisp sir, or any one who know the answer, pls fill in the blanks..
I filled the first one which was easy. :D

Time Frame : 1 minute
Exit Criteria :
SL:
TSL:
Tgt :
vijkris sir :D

I dont know .... but my understanding is as follows:

exit criteria is points only I think, I think if I recall correctly, varunji said keep booking profits at 40, 50, etc.
ISL is bar low I think
TSL not sure if there is a TSL
Tgt - none, take what system gives

deepsat

Hi,
Ya I saw ur pm. Nowadays my pm replying ability has reduced a lot. :(
Last night I replied aja bhai's query which was 2 days old. :lol:

Btw u said something abt alerts.. Go to this post.. there the afl already has bluetored and vice versa alerts..

http://www.traderji.com/beginners-guide/104279-trading-obv-beginners-only-8.html#post1216476

Regarding backtest results, I have posted the real pic only.. there is nothing more to add in it..
Hope this answers ur pm... :D
Hi Vijay,

Thanks for the reply and pointing me to that post. :thumb::thumb:

Actually, i was looking to create a sound alarm when green turns to orange in band1 and blue turns to red in band 2 at the same time(from the code you posted). Currently, there is alarm when code turns from red to blue or blue to red only. Market moves very fast in 1 min especially and this sound alarm will be very handy.

Would really appreciate if you could help me out in this regard.

Thanks so much :)