Trading NR7 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW10

You can program this in amibroker / metastock.. In the begining of thread, I have given link to the posts where people have shared the indicator code here.

Otherwise, if you are tracking index or limited stocks, then it can be done using simple excel sheet.
I have also provided excel template in first few post.

Plz go thru the starting posts.

Happy Trading

rohangawale

Sorry for the delay in posting

NR7 Stocks Triggered on 28th Oct:
Code:
[B]STOCK		HIGH		LOW[/B]
HERO HONDA	1591.9		1560
INFOSYS		2268		2220.35
REL COMM	207		198.65
SAIL		175.9		169.1
NR7 stocks closed on 29th Oct:

Code:
		[B]28-Oct			29-Oct	
STOCK		HIGH	LOW		Close	Trigger[/B]
HERO HONDA	1591.9	1560		1544.85	Down Break
INFOSYS		2268	2220.35		2208.35	Down Break
REL COMM	207	198.65		189.70	Down Break
SAIL		175.9	169.1		167.35	Down Break

rohangawale

NR7 Stocks Triggered on 29th Oct:
Code:
NOT TRADABLE STK				
[B]STOCK		HIGH		LOW[/B]
CAIRN		267.00		261.10
DLF		395		372
[B]SAIL		171.9		165.4*[/B]
SBI		2223.35		2162.65
TATA STEEL	477.1		462.2
* = 2NR7
NR7 Stocks Close on 30th Oct:
Code:
		[B]29-Oct			30-Oct	
CAIRN		267.00	261.10		263.45	No Breakout
DLF		395	372		370.25	Down Break
SAIL		171.9	165.4		164.55	Down Break
SBI		2223.35	2162.65		2191.05	No Breakout
TATA STEEL	477.1	462.2		471.55	No Breakout

dear all
in this nr7 set up every day some stocks which comes under this are posted with the result on the stock prices with break down or break up etc. some are not participating in the rules for the day. what about them for the next day? shall we ignore it? or this stocks likey to move in the comming dayes? or any one noticed what is their fate in the next few trading days?

ravi

Karanm

SYSTEM TESTER - METASTOCK for NR7 is as follows

First create an indicator as below

NR7 {the name shud be only this}
RANGE:=H-L;
NR7:=If(RANGE<Ref(RANGE,-1) AND RANGE<Ref(RANGE,-2) AND RANGE<Ref(RANGE,-3) AND RANGE<Ref(RANGE,-4) AND RANGE<Ref(RANGE,-5) AND RANGE<Ref(RANGE,-6),1,0);
NR7

{Then create a metastock system tester - u can give ur own name}

Buy Order:
REF(Fml( "NR7"),-1) =1 and h>(0.05+ref(h,-1)) and REF(l,-1)> REF(Mov(c,5,s),-1)

{For profit stop we are using a trailing 5 period MA. Therfore We have included and REF(l,-1)> REF(Mov(c,5,s),-1) in order to avoid controvacies. i.e. we are not entering long is the low of the NR7 is lesser than 5 period MA. If anybody have better suggestion u can give}

Order type
STOP LIMIT

{We are doing all trades in stop loss basis only, If NR7 method gives a buy and yest high is 357.50, then we are giving a stop loss buying at 357.55, i.e. 0.05 paisa plus yest high}

Stop Price
0.05+REF(H,-1)

Expiration
Good gor Day

Sell order
IF(REF( Fml( "NR7") ,-1)=1,l<(REF(L,-1)-0.05),l<REF(mov(c,5,s),-1))

{If yest is NR7 then we have bought today, our s/l is yest's low less 5 paise. In other cas, If we have entered yesterday or older then if the prices cuts 5 day MA(of yest) then we are closing by S/l. This will work as a trailing stop loss and also a profit stop. We will put stop loss in the mkt opening itself with trigger is yest's 5 day MA if we have entered yest or older. If we have entered today, i.e. if yest is NR7, We will put a stop loss at yest's low less 5 paisa.}

Order type Stop Limit

Stop Price: IF(REF( Fml( "NR7"),-1)=1,(REF(L,-1)-0.05) , REF(Mov(c ,5 ,s ),-1) )

Expiration
Good gor Day

Sell Short Order

REF(Fml( "NR7"),-1) =1 and L<(-0.05+ref(l,-1)) and REF(h,-1)< REF(Mov(c,5,s),-1)

Order type Stop Limit

Stop Price:
-0.05+REF(l,-1)

Expiration
Good gor Day

Buy to Cover Order

IF(REF( Fml( "NR7") ,-1)=1,h>(REF(h,-1)+0.05),h>REF(mov(c,5,s),-1))

Order type: Stop Limit

Limt Price:
IF(REF( Fml( "NR7"),-1)=1,(REF(L,-1)-0.05) , REf(Mov(c ,5 ,s ),-1) )

Expiration

Good for Day

All formulas are done in metastock 10.1 VErsion, but will work for older ver also. All codes are done with simplicity so that MEtastock 6.1 will even accept the codes. For ex, in NR7 indicator can be dome by LLV function. But it is not available in 6.1. You do all testing in your own metastock. All Price data are available freely. If u have any queries you are welcome.

All coding is based on post #4 of this thread with some modifications i discussed in my previous one or two of my posts in this thread.
Sir,
Please kindly explain step by step how to add your formula to Metastock Expert Advisor to get Buy & Sell Signals for NR7
Regards

Karanm

It is pretty easy to do this in excel with simple formulas. I am attaching the file with this post.

I have used it on NIFTY. It does work well on lower volatility instrument /chart timeframe..
In case of high volatility stocks, u might have many Outside day taking away the stops on the day of entry. For such stocks, I will look at higher timeframe so that charts are bit more smooth (say weekly chart),
But the concept of market going thru contraction / expansion is universal. I have observed this pattern on all charts ranging from other global indices to commodities and forex.
It doesn't suit smaller timeframe (say 5min, 15 min) because charts are not so smooth and it is easy to get false wicks on candle there.

In case of failed trade (i.e. in the morning, NR7 Low was broken on downside, and later the NR7 was taken away.
This is classical care of engulfing day.. and certainly, I will play with second break.

In this post, I have mentioned about how to play the breakout.
http://www.traderji.com/technical-analysis/27956-scalping-strategies-2.html#post307876

Backtesting comes up only when we define the complete system rules around it. I have my system around this. Would prefer to develop new system by involving TJ member rather then giving my system here (I strong belive in "teach a man to fish.. ").

Buy in cash on 3.15 pm on NR7 is risky.. cause u don't know the direction of breakout. By buying, u are anticipating that it is going to be bullish break tomorrow. In many cases, market can make runaway gap after such strong contraction.

I am not in favour of such trading (my personal choice). That is why I suggested this 3.15 pm approach with direction neutral option strategy.
If someone wants this, or u have other signals that support bullish trend tomorrow then one can take that call.

Thanks a lot for volunteering. Bandlab2. Sincerely appreciate it.
Keep posting your doubt/questions here so that others can also benefit from it.
Others, don't leave everything to bandlab and me but jump-in and benefit from this. Probably, you won't find the kind of learning that this system development will give you here. If someone wants, then this testing can be taken up for stocks, commodity, Sector indices etc.

This setup occurs approximately 2 to 3 times in a month on NIFTY but it is worth trading.

There are many different ways to chase a trend with trailing stoploss. For a daytrader this could be based on pivot high/low at 60min TF on day 1 but start tightening on day 2 or later to 30min PH/PL.
For swing trader, Prev days / H/L is good and simple enough.

In my view, when we use trailing stoploss, we leave some profit on the table. And all of us have different psychological preference for that. So there is no 1 answer for this.
Personally, I don't like to cut my profit so not in favour of closing all breakout trades quickly . At the same time, there is expected gain in our trading timeframe where I would like to take take partial profit or lock profit by using options.

Happy Trading.

Sir, Please provide me NR7 formula for EA in Metastock so that I can Scan 100 Good shares on Daily charts to search NR7 opputunities.

AW10

dear all
in this nr7 set up every day some stocks which comes under this are posted with the result on the stock prices with break down or break up etc. some are not participating in the rules for the day. what about them for the next day? shall we ignore it? or this stocks likey to move in the comming dayes? or any one noticed what is their fate in the next few trading days?

ravi
Ravi
If stock has not broken out of the yesterday's narrow range today, then it is still in consolidation and hence expansion in range i.e breakout is just around the corner. They do become valid candidate to keep an eye on for expansion in range i.e. higher profit potential. In my observation, 2/ 3 days of watch period shd be sufficient to find the breakout.

Happy Trading

rohangawale

NR7 Stocks Triggered on 30th Oct:

Code:
[B]STOCK		HIGH		LOW[/B]
GAIL		351.25		342.05
REL CAP		762		736.2
NR7 stock closed as on 3rd Nov:
Code:
		[B]30-Oct			3-Nov	
GAIL		351.25	342.05		340.45	Down Break