The Crash( 17.5.2006) and FII activities since then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traderji

Super Moderator
pkjha30 said:
Hi Traderji

Three posts are not appearing either on page 36 or on page 37. Last post on page 36 is 357 and starting post on page 37 is 361. :confused: Where other posts have gone though they may be insignificant?

I think this is a configurtation problem. Munchi was also puzzeled earlier and on other occasion I thought my post was deleted. But obviously it is a configuration problem. Do look into it as we don't know where and what we may be missing.
http://www.traderji.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=48400
Pankaj:)
The posts 358 to 360 are visible on page 36!

pkjha30

Hi

So todays FII figure from nse
FII trading activity on NSE and BSE in the Capital Market segment(In Rs. Crores)
Date--- Buy Value--- Sell Value--- Net Value
15-Jun-2006--- 1555.75--- 1433.60--- 122.15
16-Jun-2006--- 2784.36--- 2185.23--- 599.13
19-Jun-2006--- 1051.07--- -1078.80---( -27.73)
20-Jun-2006---- 1229.80---- 1435.03----( -205.23 )
21-Jun-2006---- 907.58---- 1118.19----( -210.61 )
22-Jun-2006--- 1307.74--- 1284.22--- 23.52

For the same period Nifty figure was
Date--- Open ---High--- Low--- Close
15-Jun-2006--- 2634.10--- 2814.15--- 2634.10--- 2798.80
16-Jun-2006--- 2799.85--- 2960.15--- 2799.85--- 2890.35
19-Jun-2006--- 2892.00--- 2932.90--- 2846.50--- 2916.90
20-Jun-2006---- 2919.00---- 2919.00--- 2837.45--- 2861.30
21-Jun-2006---- 2861.40---- 2930.80--- 2836.40--- 2923.45
22-Jun-2006---- 2923.75--- 3017.65---- 2923.75---- 2994.75

Sebi figure for the same are

Reporting Date--- Gross Purchases(Rs Crores)--- Gross Sales(Rs Crores)---- Net Investment (Rs Crores) ----Net Investment US($) million at month exchange rate
22-JUN-2006----- 1152.20----- 1060.70---- 91.60---- 20.20

And our ever reticent mutual fund managers
date ----buy-----sell-----net
21.06.06---343.61---245.68----97.93
Total---4900.05---7044.77---(-2144.72)

What do we think of these details.

They are marginally net buyer along with our MFs. Total trading activity remained subdued. This week nifty and sensex were expected to remain firm riding on positive investor sentimants globally. It has gryated wildly. Three days out of four days so far indices closed in green after opening with a gap. Somewhere I read the theory that such gaps are largly filled up on subsequent price action. If that is so then friday may not be good. Today I feel sensex has shown maturity and indicated the return of retail investors.
But then FIIs profit from the money of such investors who return to market thinking hyenas have all gone and field is safe for grazing. Only swiftest among them survive. Rest become fodder for this profit machine.

Today I was reading one article. about FII investment inIndia.
It noted that SEBI was forced to come out with the figures of breakup data on FII investment in 2004. Abt 40% of FII investment was through Participatory notes where client disclosure norms are weak. It only hinted that it may be monies accumulated through improper channel and may be some from India involved in it. I don't know the veracity of such reports. But what I feel is that before insisting on disclosure norms from others SEBI ahould also become transparent and responsive. Publish all details before the public and let that be the instrumentfor accountability. On its own this single step will restore the faith in SEBI and people would be able to judge if there is manipulation or not.

The total evidence so far suggests that FIIs can move the market irrespective of underkying fundamental values of a share. They can easily take advantage of their power for their gain. If we follow their actions along with global cues we would get signal when to exit intermediate trade or to protect the profit and re-enter.

This market will remain reange bound and any upmove will bring supply. That is seen in the weakness sensex exhibited during closing hours. That shows that investors are yet to be clear about the future prices.It is quite natural. I have a feeling that we may have reached the bottom ( remember bottom of a river is full of shifting sands and could be tricky). And in future for quite some time the market will oscillate between 9500 to 11000 range. So far it has not crossed the 10500 it will move in the lower half of the range and this could be the time to take positions in small measures and also realign your portfolio. Exit weak counters on rally and take positions in strong quantities in strong stocks.Mostly A group stocks are preferable. But also remember ifIndia growth story is intact as I generally believe , then smlcps and mdcps have the capacity to outperform the market in a select few sectors such as infrastructure, retail ,real estate, FMCG ,power equipment and transmission companies.Why I am adding these. It is because Govt will be a big spender for all the above thins and collections are also going to increase.This will lead to profitability to companies involved in these.Govt will go big on public -private partnership and Private partners will have big say in that. In any case Indian bureaucracy has proved themself not capable to handle pressures of big development.In fact it proves to be a biggest stumbling block for proper development of the Countries. With our bureaucracy we are able to achieve the growth rate of 8.4% else we would have done 20%. But then that is entirely different story.

So be cautious and take your time to realign LT protfolio. At least that is what I intend to do in near future i.e. somewhere in July

Disregard anything that looks like pro or suggestive of great knpwledge on my part. In fact you can use all my posts to perhaps analyse how ordinary investors with limited knowledge react to market.

Well just checked the DOW and NASDAQ and both are down 0.35% and 0.72% respectively.Opening was lower than the closing and is sliding down the ramp. Both dj and nasdaq are showing enough weakness to continue yesterdays parabolic formation. Indian indices were lower during lasthour before closing. May be tomorrow sensex will be angry with us for not quitely dancing to her tunes. remember I said 5% and above but we choose to book profit. thank god.

On global front they now seem to be staying silent on India story. Waiting for something to say?

pkjha30

Hi

No guessing game here. Dow down and nasdaq also got dhakka. Our indices will take another turn in a long and unending turns and twists in this continuing saga.

I also noticed that if FIIs purchases are high it does help the sentiments and persists. FII then unwind and once we realise that market takes a plunge. So the get in again.

Just had a look at the six month chart. Looks like we have started on the windward side of the mountain climbing slowly up. If that impression is correct then bottom may be over and in imperceptible way we are on our way up. It will be good if going up we also consolidate. May be FIIs could tolerate this much of downslide without taking a hit on their massive investment in India.

C

Czar

dada please remember in the last few weeks we have not made a single move on our own, this worries me, we are just purely aping the US & world market.

PLease remember in april FII had heavily sold in futures, the short covering is happening due to end month, you should notice the discount already happening in the july futures... they are buying june selling july... kuncham kuncham... caution is adviced...

pkjha30

Czar said:
dada please remember in the last few weeks we have not made a single move on our own, this worries me, we are just purely aping the US & world market.

PLease remember in april FII had heavily sold in futures, the short covering is happening due to end month, you should notice the discount already happening in the july futures... they are buying june selling july... kuncham kuncham... caution is adviced...
Well czar I would like to know that detail about F&O side of the story. It does have impact on future movement So could someone start a thread on this aspect. Perhaps czar you could take a lead.

pkjha30

HI

Highly unconvincing. Sure sign of weariness on the part of the market to keep up with the downtrend.Unless FIIs are into major selling there will be such lacklusture trading which will prove to be a ritual. I suppose trading volume should be low, FIIs would be buying in mdcps and smlcps and might have finished with seniors.Some stocks in these areas are imperceptibly moving up and showing strength where as indices are depressed.

In a way it was surprising for me. But then all stocks in the indices don't move in unison and have different views. That is to say take your view of the market and stick to it.

On world indices, most of them are showing signs of weariness and are just chugging along to follow the world leaders like dow and nasdaq. But Europe is all in green. So monday may be another story. If Dow and nasdaq follows upmove then naturally we may have to say goodbye to many many important levels down below and with that put a big question mark on the bearishness. Consolidation is the name of the game now onwards. I am being over optimistic in my assessment and there is one ass and one ess in this word . So If I prove to be one I don't mind as in that scenario I will jump in like some of the bears of yesteryears and bide my time. Always thinking of my protfolio at a time when I say goodbye to active duty.

So far we have had distress story run on the financial institutions and also on the stock market has not happened likes of that witnessed during 1929 crash.Other tha stock market everything else barring few exceptions shows upward trend. Wherever we have weaknesses we have to treat them as an area or opportunity and growth.

I was once travelling in train long time back and one man flashed his mobile and talked something irrelevant to the other end and kept the phone in his pocket. Ungainly and he must be feeling the weight of the mobile. One year back I saw a seller of each item Rs5 at footpath talking to someone very intently and fewdays ago one autodriver gave his cell number so that I can contact him for any emergency.Sunil Mittal went to Singapore and saw variety of phones and he started his venture with beetel line of phones. Now you have many choices. Even BSNL and MTNL has chagedfrom drab old phone.

What about Train reservations. Airline was already networked. Reservations network has made task much simpler and now created new business opportunities. Private container operations are being now allowed , it has attracted foreign companies which would like to provide rakes.

In 1986, we knew less abt computers. There was one PC called Janata PC by EC. Now see the explosion.We became leaders in many field.

No I don't mean to praise the glory og India. All these have come not in a single stroke but culmination of incremental efforts of many millions, policy changes and directional thrust. More needs to be done. More areas to be looked into and also remedy our weaknesses and convert them into strength.

What could I be talking about. Inclusive development. Everybody should benefit from development of India. Think ,if large number of citizens have decent buying power after meeting their basic needs, it would spur many companies topline.Now a days banks want to charge SB acct holders and I was shocked to know that they don't want poor people to open SB acct and chidambaram had to give directive. If easy credit to large number of people are made available aling with insurance cover and credit card type facility this single step would alleviate poverty to a large extent. See how much of business opportunity will become available. Small savings of small villagers will result in massive improvement in standard of living. But banks are reluctant to do that. They want to loose more money on NPA to big industrialists the earn little profit from villagers. This is only one such example. Comprehensive planning is required.

The upshot of all this blabbering is that the scope for growth is vast and growth is also taking place in many ways. More will be done, needs to be done. This will reflect in the market. It is not the sign of bear market. Correction or retracement call what you may but not Bear market. By that you are shutting your eyes from the reality and changes that are taking place everyday in small measures.

One day we will wake up and say yes we are firmly on the bull run That will be the day when we need to be careful and sell off and wait for corrections. That is the true function of a bear.That will be the lesson of this episode.Think of ten years and this dip will be just a dimple on the beautiful cheek of Stock market( afterall it is amalgamation of beautiful minds as jdm rightly told)

pkjha30 said:
HI

Highly unconvincing. Sure sign of weariness on the part of the market to keep up with the downtrend.Unless FIIs are into major selling there will be such lacklusture trading which will prove to be a ritual. I suppose trading volume should be low, FIIs would be buying in mdcps and smlcps and might have finished with seniors.Some stocks in these areas are imperceptibly moving up and showing strength where as indices are depressed.

In a way it was surprising for me. But then all stocks in the indices don't move in unison and have different views. That is to say take your view of the market and stick to it.

On world indices, most of them are showing signs of weariness and are just chugging along to follow the world leaders like dow and nasdaq. But Europe is all in green. So monday may be another story. If Dow and nasdaq follows upmove then naturally we may have to say goodbye to many many important levels down below and with that put a big question mark on the bearishness. Consolidation is the name of the game now onwards. I am being over optimistic in my assessment and there is one ass and one ess in this word . So If I prove to be one I don't mind as in that scenario I will jump in like some of the bears of yesteryears and bide my time. Always thinking of my protfolio at a time when I say goodbye to active duty.

So far we have had distress story run on the financial institutions and also on the stock market has not happened likes of that witnessed during 1929 crash.Other tha stock market everything else barring few exceptions shows upward trend. Wherever we have weaknesses we have to treat them as an area or opportunity and growth.

I was once travelling in train long time back and one man flashed his mobile and talked something irrelevant to the other end and kept the phone in his pocket. Ungainly and he must be feeling the weight of the mobile. One year back I saw a seller of each item Rs5 at footpath talking to someone very intently and fewdays ago one autodriver gave his cell number so that I can contact him for any emergency.Sunil Mittal went to Singapore and saw variety of phones and he started his venture with beetel line of phones. Now you have many choices. Even BSNL and MTNL has chagedfrom drab old phone.

What about Train reservations. Airline was already networked. Reservations network has made task much simpler and now created new business opportunities. Private container operations are being now allowed , it has attracted foreign companies which would like to provide rakes.

In 1986, we knew less abt computers. There was one PC called Janata PC by EC. Now see the explosion.We became leaders in many field.

No I don't mean to praise the glory og India. All these have come not in a single stroke but culmination of incremental efforts of many millions, policy changes and directional thrust. More needs to be done. More areas to be looked into and also remedy our weaknesses and convert them into strength.

What could I be talking about. Inclusive development. Everybody should benefit from development of India. Think ,if large number of citizens have decent buying power after meeting their basic needs, it would spur many companies topline.Now a days banks want to charge SB acct holders and I was shocked to know that they don't want poor people to open SB acct and chidambaram had to give directive. If easy credit to large number of people are made available aling with insurance cover and credit card type facility this single step would alleviate poverty to a large extent. See how much of business opportunity will become available. Small savings of small villagers will result in massive improvement in standard of living. But banks are reluctant to do that. They want to loose more money on NPA to big industrialists the earn little profit from villagers. This is only one such example. Comprehensive planning is required.

The upshot of all this blabbering is that the scope for growth is vast and growth is also taking place in many ways. More will be done, needs to be done. This will reflect in the market. It is not the sign of bear market. Correction or retracement call what you may but not Bear market. By that you are shutting your eyes from the reality and changes that are taking place everyday in small measures.

One day we will wake up and say yes we are firmly on the bull run That will be the day when we need to be careful and sell off and wait for corrections. That is the true function of a bear.That will be the lesson of this episode.Think of ten years and this dip will be just a dimple on the beautiful cheek of Stock market( afterall it is amalgamation of beautiful minds as jdm rightly told)

Hi pankaj,

Good story dada. So i wanted to say bull started:) i think i was late to say this (missed many opportunity with cash in hand looking for the market to go at bottom 7500 acc. to ashvin gujral). Conclusion:"retailer always buy high and sell low" So what to do now to wait till 11000 to cross no body here suggesting to buy that's why i didn't buy.

What do u think?
wrgrds
Ahmed

pkjha30

HI

For all day it was showing signs of weariness of a person who is asked to rest more than necessary. So the jump in the last hour was not surprising.
withdrawn said:
The beauty of this is that both long and shorts were at the wrong ends. Treat the market with respect it deserves.
Faith is the main ingradient of our mundane existence all actions related to its affairs. If we have no faith in soundness of economy it will reflect in thw market weakness.

Fear and greed are the driving force for the market. It takes extreme faith to swim against the tide.Success of long term investment lies not in bulls and bears but in trying to get good stocks at right values. Czar rightly said that value is a matter of percetion. But how and when it changes. when we feel it is too much. That is the time to change the track and also value perception.

When prices are going down we fear that it will go down still further and don't invest. When it goes up we believe that it will go up so we invest. That is the common mistake we commit. How may of us would dare to purchase when market was at 2632 or stocks hit lows. Not many. How many would have purchased when it was at 12600. Almost everybody except baron.
In both cases we are guided by the emotions and not by the valuations. An in both cases loss is ours to bear.

Trying to find absolute bottom is like searching in the river-bed. You will get sands. Go stock analysis and study of various factors that goes into its valuations are must. Technical aspect also should be kept in mind to determine the point of entry. Keep your stoplosses to such an extent that you are comfortable with.Get out, if hit.It should be sufficient to take into account historical volatality for a given time frame. There may be many methods to do that. Choose one that you like.

Be with the market. Have faith. Money is made either way. I prefer the UP way and the long way.It is rightly said that don't buy into pullbacks when sentiment is bearish. But is it bearinsh. Prices are up 20% from Jan level. This year mostly people will be in profit If they are one year into the stocks.

Pankaj :)

Last edited:

pkjha30

Hi

Here's NSE figure

FII trading activity on NSE and BSE in the Capital Market segment(In Rs. Crores)
Date--- Buy Value--- Sell Value ---Net Value
23-Jun-2006--- 943.59--- 900.94--- 42.65

And SEBI figure
Reporting Date ---- Gross Purchases(Rs Crores)---- Gross Sales(Rs Crores)--- Net Investment (Rs Crores)--- Net Investment US($) million at month exchange rate
23-JUN-2006---- 1359.60---- 1562.20---- (202.60)---- (44.60)

And MFs
Date ----buy----sell----net
22.06.06---500.24---416.99---83.25

TRADE STATISTICS FOR 23-Jun-2006
No. of trades 3,134,189
Traded Qty. (lakh shares) 2,841.00
Traded Value (Rs. crores) 6,445.72

Well, rise on a subdued volume.It may not convince many. As per NSE FIIs are net buyer but by smaller amount. SEBI says they are net seller(It may include previously unreported figures)

So let us see AD Ratio
Advances--- 455 --- Declines --- 466 --- Unchanged --- 17.

Well quite across the board and evenly matched.I would think quite secular.
So let us see what nifty ADR is

Advances / Declines
Advances 31
Declines 18
Unchanged 1

Oh situation changes in favour of rise. Is it what Ravi said ??Only Reliance. Rumours of Bonus. May be. But I would love to think otherwise.

Others may like to give more elaborate comments on the whole situation. But one thing is clear that by the time we pronounce,if at all, that uptrend is in place, never in doubt, we will see that it is racing ahead.

No advice from me. Just the raw data. Analyse youself.

Without being exuberant let us see what global market situation is

Europe finally ended in red except for one or two indices.
In Asia china India and Indonesia ended positive. All others in red only

Dow---36.42 (0.33%) and Nasdaq ---6.88 (0.44%) has started in red.

Investors have two days ahead to setle their mind. Next weak D-Day is approaching. There will be tryst with bernanke and one event will be out of reckoning for the time being.

Bond yields are stated to have increased. So money will fly to such securities in USA. That may be one reason why Dow is subdued. Indians might take sentimental hits on monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Equities 21