The Best Trading System

What do you like or dislike on this thread?

• Like: Trading Theory, Psy Ops, Myth Busters

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Like: Trading Systems

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Like: Everything on this thread

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Dislike: Too much theory, not enough actionable items

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Dislike: Systems discussed are found as useless

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Dislike: Everything on this thread

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Happy Bro, this Setup is in action (MTF(60mins,30min) STI with 15mins STI Flip) - And I am milking it royally and with confidence.Thanks for the backtest bro.
Hello

You have introduced so many methods/techniques, including few simple systems like the FOOL's System

Last few days Varun has also introduced few concepts and a simple system with 200/36 EMA/OBV

Now its for people to practice and own any one or all of them . . .

Using these tools to understand the price action and then trade as per their own temperament is for every trader to develop and evolve.

Thanks

Happy :)

Tuna

Listen and act, don't ask it, it doesn't oblige
Trading Psy Ops # Optimizing In Session and Off Session Effort

All active traders prefer to be in the front of the screen for certain amount of time to catch the opportunities and that is absolutely required. Swing or Positional traders stay less active compared to intraday traders and it depends on the timeframe of your trading.

But the point I am trying to drive home here -

1. How much time you spent on documenting your trades for that day
  2. Going through past weekly trades
  3. Analyzing the repetitive mistakes and generating new winning ideas from the chart.
  4. Preparing for the next week in the advance (to check which setup has the likelihood of getting triggered earlier than others etc.)

This is your off screen time.

To be a great trader, you need to have a decent amount of off-screen time doing all these. Else don't expect to change your trading habits just spending time in front of the screen and losing money.

I am nowhere near perfection (may not be possible in this lifetime of mine as well) , but I am in the profit zone since quite a few years now, consistently. And my off-screen time is 4x of my onscreen time (weekly).

I guess this is one thing I never mentioned earlier but this is important.

Tuna

This is the reason I tolerate all his slangs: On his last trade, he probably made what I am making in one month. His typical trades are based on stop order, exactly, precisely the spot where the price plunges before reversing. Whenever you see this on Forex or Crude, always remember - this guy was there. Most of the times.

NFP = Non Farm Payroll data

and actual

Tuna

Trading Psy Ops – Knowing the MAE

MAE stands for Maximum Adverse Excursion. Not my invention, this is something I took from Tom’s concept of trading and this is something similar to Stop Loss. But there is little more to it and that is the reason I have added the same on my trading journal. Let us have a closer look.

This is more applicable for folks who wants to play all sorts of shot (Backhand, Forehand, Ace Service etc.) on trading and ‘own’ multiple trading systems to leverage most of the market movements.

1. Suppose you have 3 trading systems (A, B and C) and as per your analysis you see that likely-hood of getting an entry trigger is more from system B based on current situation

2. You entered the position on trigger (assume Long) and kept your stop loss based on the failure point – FP (most difficult part, as sometime it is really deep or may be it is too close to entry raising doubt of its survival to minor spikes)

3. Price swings across your entry – profit zone /losing zone and finally proves that your system was right and it meets the target and you book profit or trail SL

The MAE is the count of the pips the market went in maximum against to your entry point before making the directional movement to profit-zone.

I hope till this point we are clear.

Tom actually derives most of his trading ideas from an exceptional amount of data crunching based on the real-trades from his journals and also from some back test. He uses MAE to find the pattern where the possibility of getting FP (failure point) of the trade is further optimized.

Let’s take an example:

• Suppose I am trading reversals based on my hourly BB-CCI system

• I entered long when price either moving upwards from BB Low or BB Mid and CCI does a Zero-Line-Rejection or crosses the 34 EMA overlay from below

• I entered my SL based on traditional concept at the bottom of last rejection wick (or something like that based on situation) – say this is about 40 pips from entry (consider this as a positional trade)

Now the funny part

• Price goes against me by 12 pips (so my SL survived) and then continued upward journey and I booked profit at some 95 pips with more than 2R and out

Or

• Price goes against me, system failed me, SL hit costing me 40 pips

To exploit MAE – I have to either back-test (if it is a new system, and check manually the successful trade only) or look at my journal (if it is an old system, I have quite a decent amount of past trading record on this system)
--> to find out, what was highest MAE among all the successful trades. Say we found this to be 20 pips.

This essentially means – for this particular setup, for all the trades till date, if the price had gone against me by more than 20 pips from entry it turns into a losing trade- so 20 pips is my 'MAE' for that setup.

So on a live trade if it is breaching the MAE, the chances of faiure is increased proportionally and it is better to get out.

So in a way it helps in optimizing your SL setup in big way, improving R/R. You really need not to wait for a mechanical Exit signal or SL Hit. Your MAE becomes your stop-loss. This is applicable to all sort of trades including Positional, Intraday, Swing Hourly, Scalping (Tom actually uses this for his scalping, but I found this to be valid for all types of trades I take).

One important note, the reliability of MAE for a setup is based on the volume of the successful trades you analysed. Just deriving a MAE going 10-12 trades will not be fare.

Please note MAE will be different for different trade setups, so there is no point keeping a fixed SL each time.

As of now, I have added an extra column on my trade-jounral and noting down MAE of all my trades. I am too lazy to backtest and go by each of the trades. May be I will do logging for whole of this year and let you know if this really works. But knowing this guy (TD), I know he does not $hit around with bluffs, so I am taking this seriously.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tuna

Why I value Intuition in trading at times more than my system -

Intuitions are not to be ignored. They represent data processed too fast for the conscious mind to comprehend... Sherlock, Season 4 ( Shared by someone on Twitter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuna

Deleted duplicate post

Tuna

Shall check, thanks for the effort though.

Tuna

Good morning Tuna sir

I have prepared calculator for pivots and sharing it here.
Whenever you have time, can you please check whether the calculations are correct ?

Thanks and Regards

Manoj
Perfect !! Good Job Bro. Hope this will help others.