Power Grid FPO

Re: Power Grid IPO

There are 2 imp thing to keep in mind, a) govt has to sell it's more ipo/fpo, coal india was just a trailor and b) thanksgiving in America, which every year brings down international markets is around listing date (25th nov). Once thanksgiving is over FIIs will go on x-mas holidays and DII-LIC-MF will have free hand to play with this/MOIL/SCI/Hind Copper. So be positive with atleast a week or two view after listing.

be positive will work for long term not for short as FII's will play with your stock and one has to sell at cheap price
power grid is good company and accumulate whenever it goes below the level

trader_man

I am also interested in subscribing to this FPO. But, listing day is 25th Nov and you would think that markets would correct by then. So, it seems to me that gains (if any) will be limited on listing day. For long term, this might be okay but not for immediate gains.

I have been discussing this issue with lot of my investor friends. Everyone is applying just for listing gains. i wonder..if everyone is going to sell at around 105 levels there should be someone to buy at those levels..and if the person who is ready to buy at 105 levels is sane then he will buy at current level which is lower than 105! Why would be sitting quite right now?

In short, I dont think the price will rise a lot. It will be restircted with the pre FPO prices. Expert comments please...

Power Grid IPO

What is the advice for retail investors on the last day of the Power Grid FPO, that is, tomorrow Nov 12? What should be minimum application lot given the actual subscription scenario? A quick discussion from all interested members would help many of us come to a firm decision on whether or not to apply tomorrow. Thanks to all and an earnest request to seniors/moderators for advice.

saivenkat

POWERGRID (532898) FPO - Structural Analysis

To partly meet its capital expenditure plans, Power Grid has come out with a follow-on public offer (FPO) at a price band of Rs 85-90 per share.

The offer, will help raise Rs 7,575 crore based on the upper price band, and includes an offer for sale worth Rs 3,787 crore by the government.

The issue opened on 9th Nov and lasts till 12th Nov.

The price band is set at 85-90 rs. Retail Investors will get a 5% discount on the issue price.
To partly meet its capital expenditure plans, Power Grid has come out with a follow-on public offer (FPO) at a price band of Rs 85-90 per share.

The offer, will help raise Rs 7,575 crore based on the upper price band, and includes an offer for sale worth Rs 3,787 crore by the government.

The issue opened on 9th Nov and lasts till 12th Nov.

The price band is set at 85-90 rs. Retail Investors will get a 5% discount on the issue price.

How good is it ? - The fundamentals

Power Grid is a giant company in the field of power transmission in india.

It is so big that it is even the 3rd largest power transmission utility company in the whole world.

Powergrid currently trades at 3 times book value and 17 times PE.

Power grid is expected to report 20 percent growth in revenue in the next 3 years.

This means that the Book Value of the stock could move up to 53 - 56 level in next 3 years.

How good is it ? - The technicals

95 is strong support for the stock. Weekly close below this will take the stock down to 80 levels.

On the upper end 110 - 115 is huge resistance. The stock needs a weekly close above 120 for decent run upwards.

Conclusion

The Qualified institution part of the issue is already subscribed 2 times.

So can we expect another coal india ?

Well it depends on the kind of returns one is expecting.

If a retail investor applies for 1000 shares at cutoff price of 90 rs which is the higher end of spectrum,he will probably get 700 shares allocated.

Considering th 5% discount, the retail investor will be issued stocks at 85.50 rs per share.

So one can safely expect a listing gain of 5 - 15%.

At the higher end of spectrum of price movement, if the stock moves to 110, the investor can pocket a gain of 28.6%.

However, one must note that this an FPO unlike Coal India (IPO). Stock has been around for some time.

It is very low beta stock and so taking the gains out, might take time.

A very good fundamental stock with very low beta -- not good for traders, good for long term investors is our conclusion.

This is not my view, but just a copy paste work of what i received in a mail.

Saivenkat:)

Power Grid Corporation of India Limited - NSE Bid Details
Updated as on 11 November 2010 at 1700 hrs

1. Qualified Institutional Buyers (QIBs) - 15.29 Times

2. Non Institutional Investors - 0.93 Times

3. Retail Individual Investors (RIIs) - 0.61 Times

4. Employees (EMP) - 0.35 Times

5. Total - 7.97 Times

Cheers!!