One quick question to all traders who consider themselves as successful....

lazytrader

My feeling is to go through the complete life cycle of the market from Bull-run to Bull-run or bear-market to bear-market it will take 3-5 years. Unless and until you have seen all the season's in these durations and assimilate the information you cannot be a successful trader.
Exactly, the idea behind 3 yrs is that when you start trading everything is going great and you are on the top of the world and then start feeling invincible and then the bad times start rolling in. If you consistently made profits for 1yr and then give back all of it in the second then it doesn't make you sucessful. Because in trading, sucess = equity.

It take 3 yrs because you have to go though the up's and down's in the market you need the screen time and experience looking at the charts, and more importantly be able to constantly change to market conditions make adjustments to your strategy when required and survive. Even Larry Williams said - It's all about survival. Profits may come only after a yr but can you survive till then?

After all a bunch of newbies (not to say everyone here are newbies, but few including me) arguing about the rules laid down by trading greats who've made fortunes in markets and survived decades doesn't make sense.

lazytrader

there is nothing called successful trader history has shown nobody is perfect, "JESSE LIVERMORE " the perfect example, went bankrupt 3 times before making a fortune than committing sucide.
for those who say they are succeful trader i hope they are improving their knowledge every day, one mistake that's all u need.

mistake can be of any type wrong price,timing,qty,not putting stop, over trading it can be anything.
so best is to try to minimise one's mistake, over period of time he will learn from the markets as the markets are best teacher better than any charts.
Umm.. so he didn't commit suicide after going bankrupt 3 times? He carried on trading and made a fortune?

And why do you think he was not successful? :annoyed:

AW10

Ah...you are already on your road to success my friend.....I am certain you will reach the destination.....

When I look back on my struggling period ( I still struggle,but that is another story :lol:) I find that my handicaps were as under :

1) I was undercapitalised....I was trying to make Rs 10 K on a trading capital of 50 to 60 K....it cannot be done with any regularity...

2) I was supporting my household on trading...so I needed some money for paying my bills...so whatever I made,used to go in expences....no capital generation.....it was a scared money which never wins in trading....

3 ) I was not waiting for the right set up for trade to mature....my entries and exits used to be determined by amount of money I needed and when it was needed....

4) I was searching various methods,experts,trading gurus....all waste of time...I was in search of "holy grail"....which does not exit.

5) My struggling period was very painful......frustrating....I would never like to be in that position again. Only my passion for trading kept me sane and firm on my path during that period....without the passion,I would have called it a day in 6-8 months.....

6) Capital generation once it starts it grows very fast....

7) I could not afford to take small stoplosses...so I used to avoid taking losses and in the process take large losses and sell my investments to replenish losses in my trading account...

I hope I have not painted a totally bleak picture ( I have undergone all the above )....the brighter side trading is very satisfying....it is like solving a puzzle...good money...no bossing,I am my own master etc. No other profession for me please.....

Best Wishes...and hope that others cut on the struggling period....

Smart_trade
Thanks a lot ST for sharing these experiences. I can very well relate to each of them cause I have also faced them.
It needs
1) very strong conviction on our own ability to make it, whatever may come and
2) trust in trading profession to overcome those dark days.
It was (and still it is ) one of the biggest battle that my concious mind has taken with my own subconcious mind.

Happy Trading

Umm.. so he didn't commit suicide after going bankrupt 3 times? He carried on trading and made a fortune?

And why do you think he was not successful? :annoyed:
sir,
i never meant he was not successful, what i intended was u one has to change their strategies with time , he was supposed to have become larger than markets, was not able to control the ego of himself that he can go wrong, which ultimately resulted in wrong trades, loosing of confidence from over confidence which resulted in his ultimate downfall. he didn't commited sucide because he lost money but for his trading skills were not able to adjust to the changing regulations of the market

understanding one's immotion,mind & individual is as important chapter as any other chart reading.

lazytrader

sir,
i never meant he was not successful, what i intended was u one has to change their strategies with time , he was supposed to have become larger than markets, was not able to control the ego of himself that he can go wrong, which ultimately resulted in wrong trades, loosing of confidence from over confidence which resulted in his ultimate downfall. he didn't commited sucide because he lost money but for his trading skills were not able to adjust to the changing regulations of the market

understanding one's immotion,mind & individual is as important chapter as any other chart reading.
Um.. A case of "Do as great people say, not as they do". Nicholas Darvas was a similar case.

Hope you didn't feel offended but I'm sure you said there is nothing called successful trader. My apologies.

Making fortunes by trading can be called successful but there are many who trade and make a living out of it. They may not make fortunes and not be very famous but they damn well make enough profits to live a luxurious and happy life and I'm sure there are many here who are already doing and many who are on their way there. ;)

WOD

After recommendation from my friend scorpio, I visited following thread:

http://www.traderji.com/equities/equities/futures/2123...tml#post298851

I also visited this link previously but did not thought much about it, but while reading the same today, I went into the deep thought. After this realization, I have prepared a plan for next 3 months for me which should cut the time for me becoming a good trader....

1. So, for next 2 months I will be following only one system of trading. I have chosen prides method; because of the fact that it is very simple and many good traders have backtested it and given very good feedback about it. Though I need to mould it for swing trading and differnt time frames.

2.Will be studying deep and applying only these to my trading:
Chart patterns, Candelstick patterns, NR7, Fibonacci, Cam pivots, Elliot waves, EMA, Stochostic, Market profiles.

3.Most importantly will be very respectful for the risk.

If I am able to make it happen all the three points then I am sure I will be entering into the 5 step very soon.......

Last edited:

sudoku1

After recommendation from my friend scorpio, I visited following thread:

http://www.traderji.com/equities/equities/futures/2123...tml#post298851

I also visited this link previously but did not thought much about it, but while reading the same today, I went into the deep thought. After this realization, I have prepared a plan for next 3 months for me which should cut the time for me becoming a good trader....

1. So, for next 2 months I will be following only one system of trading. I have chosen prides method; because of the fact that it is very simple and many good traders have backtested it and given very good feedback about it. Though I need to mould it for swing trading and differnt time frames.

2.Will be studying deep and applying only these to my trading:
Chart patterns, Candelstick patterns, NR7, Fibonacci, Cam pivots, Elliot waves, EMA, Stochostic, Market profiles.

3.Most importantly will be very respectful for the risk.

If I am able to make it happen all the three points then I am sure I will be entering into the 5 step very soon.......
The market is designed 2 pay u money - It is designed to give u money, as long as u understand it & have the discipline 2 live by the trading & risk rules that u make for urself.:)