How to trade with an oscillator

Dear ST,

I read through the post and was observing todays Intraday.
Couldnt identify the setup to enter at all. Time now is 12 30pm.

pls advise if my reading is correct.
If wrong and if u did find a setup, can u post it here for me to understand.
Thanks.

Dear ST,

I read through the post and was observing todays Intraday.
Couldnt identify the setup to enter at all. Time now is 12 30pm.

pls advise if my reading is correct.
If wrong and if u did find a setup, can u post it here for me to understand.
Thanks.
I think the setup came just near to 12 30. Pls cnfm.

I suggest you work with hourly timeframes and try various settings but I find that the 8,3,4 setting work pretty well in hourly timeframe for swing trading...
But keep in mind that oscillators are not holy grails of trading...they can and do fail....like anything else in trading.

Smart_trade
Hi ST,

Do u recommend this tech Using EOD charts? If yes, what will be the STOCH setting and can you illustrate this with any current EOD chart of any scrip?
Thanks.

Hello Sredhar,

1) If you are using 5 min timeframe, and if the overbought band is considered as 80 then there was no set up....but if you are considering 70 as the upper band ( in a bear market I relax the upper band a little and in bull market I relax a lower band to 30 instead of 20 ) then you had two set ups.

2) Always use 2-3 critaria to take a trade......if you consider support / resistances or pivots or TDST levels or gaps explained in my other thread " Ideas on Day/Swing Trading " you would get many places for going short today.

I am sure you must have caught a good portion of a great trend day today....

Smart_trade

Last edited:
Hi ST,

Do u recommend this tech Using EOD charts? If yes, what will be the STOCH setting and can you illustrate this with any current EOD chart of any scrip?
Thanks.
Same parameters catch some excellent trades in daily timeframe too.....

Smart_trade

do u feel 3,5,3 is the best setting for the stochs?
prst,

I am not a great fan of optimising the indicator parameters as any set of parameters which work best in a particular sample will not work that well in out of sample testing. I find many use 7,3,4 also 5,5,5 .....all will catch some trades, miss some trades....I find that combining indicator such as stochastics with price action methods works the best.

Smart_trade