Fire your tax related queries and i would get it solved!!!

Are you able to understand the replies and act accordingly to this thread ??

• Yes, able to understand BUT NOT able to take suggested course

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat able to take desicions, BUT seek professional help in my area

• Find it tough to understand the replies hence always seek other professional help

• Not able to understand any of the replies !!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diosys

Hi Diosys, here are a few questions. Would greatly appreciate your input.

I have the following for FY 2008-2009 (AY 2009-2010) and I have given my understanding of the taxation:

1. Income from fixed deposits >>> Taxable as per slab

2. Dividend from shares >>> Tax-exempt

3. Dividend from equity mutual funds >>> Tax-exempt

4. Dividend from debt mutual funds >>> Tax-exempt

5. Profit from intraday trading of shares, not F&O or derivatives >>> Taxable as speculative income as per slab with STT incurred being deductable

6. Short-term capital losses by frequently buying and selling shares on delivery basis on the exchanges (i.e. STT has been levied)>>> can be carried forward as business losses without adding STT to purchase cost and subtracting STT from sale cost.

7. Net short-term and long-term capital losses incurred by redeeeming of debt mutual funds.

8. Long term capital gains by redeeming equity mutual funds (with STT deducted by the fund house) >>> Tax exempt.

My guess is that I have to file ITR 4 because of items 5 and 6 above.

I have not kept books of accounts but I itemised all my transactions in a spread sheet for calculation purposes

If all the above is correct, then with reference to ITR 4, can you please throw some light on the following:

Part A-Gen --- Liability to maintain books of accounts >>> No since income is less than Rs. 1.2 lakhs from business, actually loss in this year.
Liable to audit >>> No since total of gains plus total of losses (minus sign ignored) for intraday and short term together is less than 40 lakhs.
Nature of business or profession >>> ???

Part A-BS --- will skip items 1-5 and fill "No account case" but what are 6a "sundry debtors" & 6b "sundry creditors" since I haven't borrowed or lent to conduct the business of intraday trading and buying and selling shares for short term delivery?

And what is 6c -- Amount of total stock-in-trade? Is the the total closing value of the shares held by me as on 31/03/2009?
And what is 6d -- Amount of cash balance? Is it the free cash lying in my trading account?

I hope you can help!:confused:

If you can, I will some more questions very soon!
Dear Vasa,

Till point 5 you are absolutely correct....

Point 6 i am confused.... you say short term capital losses and want to carry forward it as business income...i presume you wanted to mention carry forward as capital loss...then in that case you are again correct...

7 & 8 are also correct....

Now your queries...

Liability to maintain books of accounts arises not only on income exceeding 1.2L BUT also if any of the three previous years you have had sales exceeding Rs. 10 L (which you might be having)....

Your Audit understanding is absolutely correct...not required.

Nature of business & profession "retail: Others"

Sundry debtors would be your money kept with the broker or similary if you owe to your broker as on 31st Mar 2009 then that money would be sundry creditor.

Stock in hand is the stock items you have (Shares etc)

Cash in hand is not the broker cash....it is the actual cash with you (may be in your wallet etc...)

OVERALL LET ME MAKE ONE THING VERY VERY CLEAR...I WOULD STRONGLY...REPEAT STRONGLY SUGGEST TO GET YOUR PROPER BOOKS OF ACCOUNTS MADE...may or may not be only for statutory compliances BUT also for utmost peace of mind....

TFL

Dear Diosys,

Can you provide some guidance regarding maintaining proper books of accounts for a trader? It will be good if you can show us the proper structure of the same and how we can add to the book daily.

Thank you,
TFL.

diosys

Dear Diosys,

Can you provide some guidance regarding maintaining proper books of accounts for a trader? It will be good if you can show us the proper structure of the same and how we can add to the book daily.

Thank you,
TFL.
There is no structure in which it needs to be maintained....

It can only be maintained properly if you have the correct accounting knowledge...If you have then buy a cash book and ledger from any big statinoary shop and start...its that simple...

Though it does sound simple but in the end it might not be that simple...Therefore hire an accountant, pay him some money depending upon the number of transactions and be satisfied....

TFL

There is no structure in which it needs to be maintained....

It can only be maintained properly if you have the correct accounting knowledge...If you have then buy a cash book and ledger from any big statinoary shop and start...its that simple...

Though it does sound simple but in the end it might not be that simple...Therefore hire an accountant, pay him some money depending upon the number of transactions and be satisfied....
You mean hire an accountant for day to day entry?
I was looking for some online/software/excel options rather than hard books.

diosys

You mean hire an accountant for day to day entry?
I was looking for some online/software/excel options rather than hard books.
its your choice....hard copy or soft....in any case the person doing the entries need to be versed with acounting techniques...

TFL

its your choice....hard copy or soft....in any case the person doing the entries need to be versed with acounting techniques...
Can you show an example or a screen-shot of some entries? I had a discussion with some CA's earlier and they are all asking higher charges if needed daily. So in a plan to learn it a little to add day to day entries and end of month, I can hire one to check/correct it.
What you think diosys?

TFl.

vasa1

Diosys, thanks for your wonderful & prompt reply and for your well-meaning advice to keep books of accounts (in large caps :D)...

If I may explain what I do maybe you can guide us (me & TFL):

I have a spreadsheet which is a replica of my bank statement which I suitably modify to as to make it filterable / searchable / sortable. So this will provide me information re. cash inputs to my broker and receipts from him.

Each and every contract note, I break up into its components. Say I buy and sell X different scrips in intraday and take delivery of Y different scrips and give delivery of Z different scrips. I paste the relevant part of my contract note into a spreadsheet that allows me to break up scrip-wise and as per intraday or delivery basis. For each, I also pro-rata allocate the various charges (brokerage, ST+EC, stamp duty, Exchange levy and STT) using a spreadsheet formula. The formula ensures that STT on intraday is charged only on the sell leg (for easy deduction u/s 80E (?)).

The proceeds of each contract note are added to a "mega" spreadsheet that contains all the transactions I've done since I started (in Jan 2008). So the contents again are searchable, filterable, sortable.

Additionally, I have a spreadsheet that reflects all credits / debits with my broker. My business begins & ends with him!

The broker provides a closing balance of shares and their market value for 31st March 2008 & 31st March 2009.

I'm not interested in deducting expenses such as conveyance, broadband, etc., so I feel I'm maintaining "proper" records although not in the classical cash book / ledger type of way.

vasa1

Liability to maintain books of accounts arises not only on income exceeding 1.2L BUT also if any of the three previous years you have had sales exceeding Rs. 10 L (which you might be having)....
Diosys, in what you have written above, please clarify what is meant by the bold part? Do you mean that if the total value of shares sold (intraday + short term delivery) exceeds Rs. 10 lakhs, it triggers the liability to keep books of accounts? Does this mean we don't subtract the cost price?

In that case the complexity of my return has just sky-rocketed:sos:

Dear Diosys

Your thread is very informative and helpful. Thanks a ton.

I am a full time trader in the futures and options segment with a number of trades intraday. I have Tally 9 for maintaining accounts and am familiar with it . Can you please throw some light on the exact voucher entries in Tally for the sample transactions shown below.

Date of transaction 22/7/09

1) DLF futures qty 1 lot (800) Buy at 350
2) DLF futures qty 1 lot (800) Sell at 357.35
3) DLF futures qty 1 lot (800) Buy at 360.90
4) DLF futures qty 1 lot (800) Sell at 361.50
5) KMFL futures qty 10t (550) Buy at 661
6) KMFL futures qty 1 lot (550) Sell at 662
7) Nifty 4500 puts 1 lot (50) Buy at 94.90
8) Nifty 4500 puts 1 lot (50) sell at 115.00

Digital Contract note is available for this with relevant Brokerage, Service Tax, STT , Turnover tax, Stamp Duty, Cess .

Would you please show the voucher entries for the benefit of all.

I mentioned all the trades to understand the concept of Turnover.
In the above case , profit / loss in each transaction will contribute towards turnover isn"t it ?

When above kind of transaction happens everday and if you take profit, loss acrued in each transaction , the 40 lakhs exemption limit for audit will be touched very easily by a lot of people doing intraday.

Hence a lot of us would greatly benefit from knowing the correct way to account transactions on a daily basis for clarity .

I am asking this of you because my own Auditor seems unsure of this .

Thanks and waiting in anticipation

With warm regards
gsri

diosys

Can you show an example or a screen-shot of some entries? I had a discussion with some CA's earlier and they are all asking higher charges if needed daily. So in a plan to learn it a little to add day to day entries and end of month, I can hire one to check/correct it.
What you think diosys?

TFl.
A CA would of course charge you higher amount if you want daily entries...though as per my experience you would not be needing daily....fortnightly entries would be sufficent....Hire a part time accountant. that should suffice and get your books audited by a CA (even if below 40L) for utmost satisfaction....

As far as tutorial is concerned then watch as many videos of tally software you want on youtube. They have pretty good explanations....