Trading NR7 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW10

We need to have some trading rules : Just suggesting w/o looking back :

01. Use a 5 point filter rounded to nearest rupee +0.20 paise ,
02. Move SL to cost once the trade moves in our direction by X points.
03. Track also Range Expansion 7, i.e look out for a bar having highest range in last 7 bars, and if we are in trade, the Hi or Lo of this expansion bar can be used as Trailing SL
04. Book partial profits at certain levels.
05. Exit position at close.
06. Not sure what to do if we gat a NR7 on 3.30 bar?? Do we trade it the next day.??????

Shall try to post a chart soon!! Not very proficient in upload etc, and may take time.

Looking forward to inputs from all, not Satya alone to whom this mail is addressed.
RKK, don't know how I missed your post earlier. but thanks for posting the 30min chart and putting in some rules for intraday trading.

Just sharing my views here
- I agree with your proposal of 30min TF cause it reflects the complete trading time of the market with complete bars of equal duration.
- To start with, using 5 points filter is fine. I would have preferred to attach it to say 10% or 20% of current ATR of 30m bar. So that it is adjusted for current volatility and price level of market.
- I was looking at chart and found that probably, it would be better to wait for 1 bar, after getting NR7 bar.. and then place stop limit entry order for trade. Most of the cases, whipsaws on 30m chart is not lasting for more then 1 bar.
- After enter ordre, stoploss can be stop and reverse order.
- IMO, the profitablity of the system will go to different level, if the position is taken overnight (swing position). Cause when we have NR day developing, we might see NRx on 30m bar as well. That range will be broken, but whole market is not showing any movement, so even if we are right, the potential opportunity will still be small.
Infact, in my view, on such low action days, market is at the mercy of operators and they are master in taking out hidden stops. so our entry on 30m TF will have more whipsaws.

But next day, when expansion takes place, we will be standing on sideline.
Position sizing can help here.. where we reduce position to 1/4th or 1/10th and take it to next day.
Another approach could be to use options to hedge overnight risk and remove the hedge when trading starts next day.

- Whatever I have mentioend are only my feeling, and logic. Until it is not backtested, we can't use these points to trade.
- Better to backtest the system over longer period (say from Oct 08 till now is reasonable period). If we are looking at manual backtesting then maybe we can find the period when market was in uptrend, sideway, downtrend and test for those specific days/periods..

- I also suggest Satya, some time back, to keep track of daily TF and see if NR7 is developing there. This will certainly give NRx bars on smaller TF and their break as well. So use that as entry, with much smaller stops and carry it over to next days, when daily TF also gets into expansion.

Hope this gives some more ideas about developing a system around it.

Open for further discussion on it.

Happy Trading

rkkarnani

RKK, don't know how I missed your post earlier. but thanks for posting the 30min chart and putting in some rules for intraday trading.

Just sharing my views here
- I agree with your proposal of 30min TF cause it reflects the complete trading time of the market with complete bars of equal duration.
- To start with, using 5 points filter is fine. I would have preferred to attach it to say 10% or 20% of current ATR of 30m bar. So that it is adjusted for current volatility and price level of market.
- I was looking at chart and found that probably, it would be better to wait for 1 bar, after getting NR7 bar.. and then place stop limit entry order for trade. Most of the cases, whipsaws on 30m chart is not lasting for more then 1 bar.
- After enter ordre, stoploss can be stop and reverse order.
- IMO, the profitablity of the system will go to different level, if the position is taken overnight (swing position). Cause when we have NR day developing, we might see NRx on 30m bar as well. That range will be broken, but whole market is not showing any movement, so even if we are right, the potential opportunity will still be small.
Infact, in my view, on such low action days, market is at the mercy of operators and they are master in taking out hidden stops. so our entry on 30m TF will have more whipsaws.

But next day, when expansion takes place, we will be standing on sideline.
Position sizing can help here.. where we reduce position to 1/4th or 1/10th and take it to next day.
Another approach could be to use options to hedge overnight risk and remove the hedge when trading starts next day.

- Whatever I have mentioend are only my feeling, and logic. Until it is not backtested, we can't use these points to trade.
- Better to backtest the system over longer period (say from Oct 08 till now is reasonable period). If we are looking at manual backtesting then maybe we can find the period when market was in uptrend, sideway, downtrend and test for those specific days/periods..

- I also suggest Satya, some time back, to keep track of daily TF and see if NR7 is developing there. This will certainly give NRx bars on smaller TF and their break as well. So use that as entry, with much smaller stops and carry it over to next days, when daily TF also gets into expansion.

Hope this gives some more ideas about developing a system around it.

Open for further discussion on it.

Happy Trading
Thanks for a detailed post AW!! Frankly,my post was more of a Knee jerk reacton after eyeballing the charts. All rules were mentioned more on spur thanany other criteria!! Your suggestion about ATR is worth considering but am not aware how do we calculate the average ATR of the current 30 min bar.
Your suggestion about waiting for a bar after NR7 in 30 min TF merits lot of attention. Can you briefly mention a bit more on it. We get a 30 min NR7 , the next bar triggers a BUY, we are waiting, now how do we enter. Do we enter LONG if the close of the next bar is above the High of NR7 bar or wait if the close is within the range of the NR7 bar. In the period April till now , my eyeballing of NF does suggest not to wait, but take the 'plunge' and then eyeballing the Bank NF charts I feel DO NOT TRADE IT per NR7!!! In Bank NF the rule to wait for a bar seems really helpful. In NF, at times the next bar itself moves BIG in our direction and in intraday perspective we may seem to have missed the bus!! Yes may be it is prudent for waiting if we plan to carry the trade overnight.
AW, do post a bit more on how to take guidance from NR7 in 30 minutes for taking overnigt positions.
Am not very sure of how to decide when to carry a position overnight on the basis of a NR7 ina 30 min.chart?? Maybe we need to corelate it with EOD chart. Though have not checked but feel that in case we see a NR7 developing in an EOD chart and we have a triggered NR7 in 30 min chart,we would rather exit our position and enter as per EOD chart only.
The rules posted by me are as told have not been seriously looked into. They are more like starting points more for Historical analysis rather than trading. More for further discussion rather than anything else. Request others to chip in with there views too as done by you.
My views on Positional trade may be biased as I have been persoanally not taking home any positions as I am not comfy with them.
Thanks again for your input!!
Regards
-R K Karnani

AW10

Thinking aloud : When we get a NR7 bar on EOD, do we trade it in 30 minutes only in the direction of the breakout as per EOD levels!!???
Certainly this should be approach.. cause you will be riding the bigger wave (daily TF wave) with such entries..
Otherwise, u are trading anti-trend and carry all the risk of contrarian entries..

I am assuming at after Daily NR7 yesterday, today market is below yesterday's range, and we find 30m also showing another 30m and down break of 30m NRx range.

It could be otherway as well, today mkt is still in yesterdays' range (i.e. the yesterday's consolidation is extended to today as well) and then we see breakout on 30m chart. At this stage, we don't know the direction of daily NR7 break so we can go ahead with either direction.

In first case, we might see a reversal after down break, in that case it is possible that we might miss first upside breakout of 30m TF. Taking such trade should depend on our trading approach of skipping counter trend entries or taking them even if there is limited profit potential. It is possible that such upside breakout will bring price to daily NR range and start showing the weakness as longer TF player jumps in when price reaches daily NR zone.

Hope this helps..
Will share more ideas and help in developing intraday system around it.

Happy Trading

asnavale

Dear Asnavale,

I m not gettin the file u attached i.e exploration how can i get the scan done with the result as u have attached in ur previous page 71 i m not getin the result sheet pls help me how can i get it hope to hear soon

regards
Hi,

Run the AFL in Analysis Window and select 'Explore' Not 'Scan'

-Anant

VJAY

Hi,

Run the AFL in Analysis Window and select 'Explore' Not 'Scan'

-Anant
So scan not working.......explore working..

Thanks anant for a wonderfull afl.

rohangawale

NR7 Stocks Triggered on 9th Oct:

Code:
[B]STOCK		HIGH		LOW[/B]
BPCL		567.5		556.25
RIL		2131.6		2090
REL COMM	255.6		246.6
TATA COMM	478		470
NR7 Close on 12th Oct:
Code:
		[B]9-Oct			12-Oct	
STOCK		HIGH	LOW		Close	Trigger[/B]
BPCL		567.5	556.25		565.45	No Breakout
RIL		2131.6	2090		2169.05	Up Break
REL COMM	255.6	246.6		247.50	No Breakout
TATA COMM	478	470		491.50	Up Break

rohangawale

NR7 Stocks Triggered on 12th Oct:

Code:
[B]STOCK		HIGH		LOW[/B]
ABB		793		779
AXIS BANK	1022.4		996.7
BHARTI AIRTEL	353		344.45
CAIRN		266.35		262.25
DLF		427.7		417
HINDALCO	129.35		126.1
IDEA		63.9		62.25
L&T		1661		1630
MARUTI		1529.9		1481
POWER GRID	108.75		107.65
SUZLON		87.05		85.5
TCS		584.25		563.55
TATA MOTORS	555.75		539

Placebo

Hi. I tried using the NR setup today in conjunction with VSA/Wyckoff methods and MP. This is how the story played out.

The first Nr7 i.e Bar A had a weak background (sorry for using vsa terms please bare with me) and then we got a No Demand Bar in the form of Nr7. However MP graph showed that an extension was inevitable so the short position was not initiated.

The next Nr7 i.e at Bar b occurred with some strength in the background but the trend was down so once again the trade was not taken.

My question here is how would you guys take a position here solely based on NR7 ? ?

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5531/21355691.jpg

Cheers

rkkarnani

Image Posted by Inangia :

Hi. I tried using the NR setup today in conjunction with VSA/Wyckoff methods and MP. This is how the story played out.

The first Nr7 i.e Bar A had a weak background (sorry for using vsa terms please bare with me) and then we got a No Demand Bar in the form of Nr7. However MP graph showed that an extension was inevitable so the short position was not initiated.

The next Nr7 i.e at Bar b occurred with some strength in the background but the trend was down so once again the trade was not taken.

My question here is how would you guys take a position here solely based on NR7 ? ?

(This is just a repeatofPost by Inangia so that we have the Text with the Chart!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.