Sureshot

Taiki

Hello All,

I am completely new to commodity market. I dont know even the ABC of commodity. But I want to learn it. I want to know about the products being traded in commodity market, its opening and closing timings and above all any learning hub/website where details about commodity can be found.

I have tried searching these things in google, but the results were only about getting tips and calls. I dont believe in these sites, and i want to learn it myself, and trade myself.

So these are few basic questions, may be they are too basic, but as i told i know nothing about commodity.

1. What is the difference between MCX and NCDEX, In india which exchange is regulating the commodity market.

2. Like in stock market, we have stocks spot price and fut price, Does the same thing get applied in commodity ? Or commodity has only derivative segment.

3. Where can i find the historical data for a commodity product's spot/fut price. (Like for stock market these data can be obtained from nseindia.com)

These are few questions that will help me getting started with my learning journey. Please answer them in your free time.

Thank you. :)

ashu1234

Commodity market here is governed by Forward Market commission and two popular exchanges are MCX and NCDEX. MCX is the leader in Metals and bullion and mostly international commodities are traded here whose price are derived from the prices of international market. Except gold and silver all other contracts at MCX are non-deliverable. NCDEX on the other hand is known for Agri commodities. Go to mcxindia.com you'll get all the prices here and yes it is derivatives only for market for spot prices you have to check international market prices.For research you can't get much material on google as in India consumers are not exposed to this asset class. You have to start from the scratch.

Raghuveer

Take a look here: How to trade Commodities - Gold, Silver, Crude Oil, Natural Gas

Hello All,

I am completely new to commodity market. I dont know even the ABC of commodity. But I want to learn it. I want to know about the products being traded in commodity market, its opening and closing timings and above all any learning hub/website where details about commodity can be found.

I have tried searching these things in google, but the results were only about getting tips and calls. I dont believe in these sites, and i want to learn it myself, and trade myself.

So these are few basic questions, may be they are too basic, but as i told i know nothing about commodity.

Taiki

Thanks a lot Ashu and Raghuveer, I am going through your links now. What about the market timings and what is the expiry day for these contracts ? Is it same as stock derivatives i:e last thursday of the month. And among the derivatives, is it only future contracts or options are available as well ??

ashu1234

Thanks a lot Ashu and Raghuveer, I am going through your links now. What about the market timings and what is the expiry day for these contracts ? Is it same as stock derivatives i:e last thursday of the month. And among the derivatives, is it only future contracts or options are available as well ??
Hi,
please go through this link it gives you timing of each of the product
http://www.cmegroup.com/trading_hours/metals-hours.html

Base Metals expire at end of month 30/31. and for others you can go to cmegroup-->Product--> and then you can see product calender which list the expiry date and time. same can be checked at mcxindia.com.
Only Futures are traded at MCX, trading in options is proposed at is awaiting regulators approval, but on Comex they are actively traded so you can track FNO data for research.

Taiki ji, welcome to the world of risk and reward.
Its good to see that you are keen to learn, just remember one thing, profit looks good from above but to take it you have to burn your hands... Without loss you can't earn or learn, so just get ready.
Great that ashu cleared your doubts.
Just follow good people in starting, don't start real trading in hustle bustle, start with paper trading first.
All the best.

Cheers,

Regards
The Predictor

Taiki

Taiki ji, welcome to the world of risk and reward.
Its good to see that you are keen to learn, just remember one thing, profit looks good from above but to take it you have to burn your hands... Without loss you can't earn or learn, so just get ready.
Great that ashu cleared your doubts.
Just follow good people in starting, don't start real trading in hustle bustle, start with paper trading first.
All the best.

Cheers,

Regards
The Predictor
Yes Predictor Ji,

I am just going through the links shown by Mr Raghuveer ans Ashu. Checking the data from mcx site. I have no plan for real commodity trading before october. I want to dedicate this 6 months in learning, making a system to trade and back testing it. Its good to find such helping people here..

Thanks a lot. :)

mastermind007

Bhaiyo ess 3rd may ki sell cal pe jisne kaam kia tha , please book profit at cmp...
From 217 to 211. . .jai ho. . .enjoy the profit rain.
'jab hum cal dete hai, tab tgt aate hai,sl ki m** ki ankh' hehe
Cheers,
What symbol is this exactly? On my screen I have two symbols. MNAG and MNAG# whose full names are shown as "MCX Natural Gas Continuous"
and "MCX Natural Gas Next". I want to be able to track your next call.

Taiki

Hello Predictor Sir, Raghuveer Sir, Ashu Sir

I am just exploring the world of commodity now. I checked all the products that are being traded on MCX from its site, and checked the bhav copies too. But it only gives you historical data for past few (3/4) months based on the future contract selection. How can i obtain the data for past few years ??

And my next question as a newbie, which contract will be best to trade on ?? So that i can start developing my system based on that contract only.