Stocks To Keep A Close Eye On - Chapter II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlokTewari

26th March

Will tomorrow's upmove ( if any ) in Nifty be led by Infy & TCS ? CNXIT also showing signs of going up.

GOM meeting tomorrow for allowing export of sugar. Renukaaa

Other Upside candidates - Bharti, HDFCBank, Petronet
For Downside - Centurytextiles, Maruti, Titan & Voltas

Cheers !!!

Alok Tewari

Thanks Savant, I noticed you have been quite active over the years! (I have several tabs open in another browser doing research on this forum, and you are everywhere).

Now, I am not a day-trader... I don't know the technical term on how to classify myself. But basically, I just want to make "opportunistic trades"; and maybe sometimes "buy and hold". I think I like to pick up stocks that are cheap/undervalued.

Anyway, dear Experts, yesterday (Friday, 13th April) I purchase the following stocks. I would appreciate your feedback, and also your critique regarding my rationale for purchasing them.

* BHEL: This was recommended in a moneycontrol.com article. The historic price chart indicated that this was being traded at very low prices. Additionally it is a Navratna company ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navratna ), this means that if I buy and hold the price is only bound to go up.

* SAIL, Steel Authority: Before yesterday, I didn't even know about the Navratna companies. So I decided to research them a little and buy some of the ones that are being undervalued. I tell myself, "these companies are too big to fail, so given sufficient time their value is most likely going to increase".

GAIL: Same reason as purchasing Steel Authority. But one more thing... looking at the Chaikin Money Flow indicator, it appears that some buying pressure has recently appeared. This further reinforced by decision to buy the stock.

Indian Oil: Same reason as purchasing Steel Authority. But, the RSI is at 37.. now, I know that doesn't indicate "oversold"; but nonetheless, it reinforced my opinion to pick up the stock.

* Renuka: Everyone has been trading them heavily. They were also recommended in a moneycontrol article... again, going by the price trend this stock is being undervalued so I figure its a good idea to grab some.

I also wanted to pickup Viceroy hotels but nobody was selling them.

So experts, what do you think of my choices and rationale for picking them?

Thanks Savant, I noticed you have been quite active over the years! (I have several tabs open in another browser doing research on this forum, and you

are everywhere).

Now, I am not a day-trader... I don't know the technical term on how to classify myself. But basically, I just want to make "opportunistic trades"; and

maybe sometimes "buy and hold". I think I like to pick up stocks that are cheap/undervalued.

Anyway, dear Experts, yesterday (Friday, 13th April) I purchase the following stocks. I would appreciate your feedback, and also your critique regarding

my rationale for purchasing them.

* BHEL: This was recommended in a moneycontrol.com article. The historic price chart indicated that this was being traded at very low prices.

Additionally it is a Navratna company ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navratna ), this means that if I buy and hold the price is only bound to go up.

* SAIL: Before yesterday, I didn't even know about the Navratna companies. So I decided to research them a little and buy some of the ones that are

being undervalued. I tell myself, "these companies are too big to fail, so given sufficient time their value is most likely going to increase".

GAIL: Same reason as purchasing SAIL. But one more thing... looking at the Chaikin Money Flow indicator, it appears that some buying pressure has

recently appeared. This further reinforced by decision to buy the stock.

Indian Oil: Same reason as purchasing SAIL. But, the RSI is at 37.. now, I know that doesn't indicate "oversold"; but nonetheless, it reinforced my

opinion to pick up the stock.

* Renuka: Everyone has been trading them heavily. They were also recommended in a moneycontrol article... again, going by the price trend this stock is

being undervalued so I figure its a good idea to grab some.

SavantGarde

Hi Gizmo,

You can say TJ has become a second home for me.....observations comments posted by me is entirely from real life experience and the way I see things which is a little bit different from the many voices here at TJ...!!!

Of the the 5 scrips 4 of them are PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings)

There is no doubt that they will move up considerably from where they are presently.....!!!

PSUs are extremely cheap as opposed to their peers from the Private sector....!!!

Among the many reasons that one reads at various places... most important being that the Big Funds...like KKR & etc. put pressure through media...with soundbites of 'It is not the Governments Job To Run Businesses' and that they should be entirely divested by the Government' basically these humongous sized players want to own big chunks of everything for a far bigger agendas.....than one reads or sees in widely popular media....!!!

Anyways, it is good to see that you do take into account Fundamentals....while you may sit on quotational losses ...do hold them... till you are ready to reduce....!!!

There is a cycle of rise and fall that one witnesses in stock market annually... here I am not talking of the Global meltdown...I am referring to normal cyclical periods of what happens...do try and detect such cycles...and see that you reduce your position around the top.... and accumulate them back when it start rising back again....!!!

Sugar sector in general has some tailwind at the moment.... so it is doing well....!!!

Do look into PSU Banks of all sizes for your portfolio....!!!

If you need to diversify.... do look at E-Silver....as well...!!!

SG

Thanks Savant, I noticed you have been quite active over the years! (I have several tabs open in another browser doing research on this forum, and you

are everywhere).

Now, I am not a day-trader... I don't know the technical term on how to classify myself. But basically, I just want to make "opportunistic trades"; and

maybe sometimes "buy and hold". I think I like to pick up stocks that are cheap/undervalued.

Anyway, dear Experts, yesterday (Friday, 13th April) I purchase the following stocks. I would appreciate your feedback, and also your critique regarding

my rationale for purchasing them.

* BHEL: This was recommended in a moneycontrol.com article. The historic price chart indicated that this was being traded at very low prices.

Additionally it is a Navratna company ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navratna ), this means that if I buy and hold the price is only bound to go up.

* SAIL: Before yesterday, I didn't even know about the Navratna companies. So I decided to research them a little and buy some of the ones that are

being undervalued. I tell myself, "these companies are too big to fail, so given sufficient time their value is most likely going to increase".

GAIL: Same reason as purchasing SAIL. But one more thing... looking at the Chaikin Money Flow indicator, it appears that some buying pressure has

recently appeared. This further reinforced by decision to buy the stock.

Indian Oil: Same reason as purchasing SAIL. But, the RSI is at 37.. now, I know that doesn't indicate "oversold"; but nonetheless, it reinforced my

opinion to pick up the stock.

* Renuka: Everyone has been trading them heavily. They were also recommended in a moneycontrol article... again, going by the price trend this stock is

being undervalued so I figure its a good idea to grab some.

Yesterday's news, but GAIL and ONGC were downgraded by Moody's.

Quoting from the article :

Moody's downgrades ONGC, GAIL

"The rating actions reflect Moody's view that both ONGC and GAIL ultimately cannot be completely de-linked from the credit quality of the Indian government (Baa3, stable), and thus their ratings need to more closely reflect the risk that they share with the sovereign," Moody's said in a statement.
So, a loss of confidence in the government means that the PSUs may be in for a protracted period of pain before the things get better.

BTW, there's another important news, that all public companies have to have a minimum of 25% public holdings i.e. the promoters and FI's stake can not be more than 75%. What will be effect of this news .. ??

14 Apr, 2012, 07.49AM IST, ET Bureau
SEBI chairman UK Sinha talks tough on public shareholding rule

Status
Not open for further replies.