Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

Einstein

Yes, there is a general belief going around that BJP will support power, Cap Goods and infra. The Dollar will lose sheen, causing IT, Pharma to suffer. Poor rains will cause FMCG to fall. RBI is expected to cut interest rates to reduce inflation, so banks might suffer too. If Banks suffer, Nifty will remain subdued.

:confused::confused: You mean increasing repo rate(currently 8%)!!. cutting interest rates will be like throwing petrol on an already burning house.

Inflation is no joke, Most people have no idea how much they will suffer (including rich) because of this. with current retail inflation of 9.5%, a liter of milk will cost 200+ rs per liter in next 20 years. and 400+ Rs in 30 years.

add: Due to increase in energy prices, like 10 paise per month increase of diesel price in order to reduce the subsidy and increase in gas price for oil companies, will SURELY help fueling more inflation as per our governor.

Repo (Repurchase) Rate
Repo rate is the rate at which banks borrow funds from the RBI to meet the gap between the demand they are facing for money (loans) and how much they have on hand to lend.
If the RBI wants to make it more expensive for the banks to borrow money or wants to lower the inflation, it increases the repo rate; similarly, if it wants to make it cheaper for banks to borrow money, it reduces the repo rate.

Reverse Repo Rate
This is the exact opposite of repo rate.
The rate at which RBI borrows money from the banks (or banks lend money to the RBI) is termed the reverse repo rate. The RBI uses this tool when it feels there is too much money floating in the banking system If the reverse repo rate is increased, it means the RBI will borrow money from the bank and offer them a lucrative rate of interest. As a result, banks would prefer to keep their money with the RBI (which is absolutely risk free) instead of lending it out (this option comes with a certain amount of risk) Consequently, banks would have lesser funds to lend to their customers. This helps stem the flow of excess money into the economy Reverse repo rate signifies the rate at which the central bank absorbs liquidity from the banks, while repo signifies the rate at which liquidity is injected.

Bank Rate
This is the rate at which RBI lends money to other banks (or financial institutions .
The bank rate signals the central bank’s long-term outlook on interest rates. If the bank rate moves up, long-term interest rates also tend to move up, and vice-versa.
Banks make a profit by borrowing at a lower rate and lending the same funds at a higher rate of interest. If the RBI hikes the bank rate (this is currently 6 per cent), the interest that a bank pays for borrowing money (banks borrow money either from each other or from the RBI) increases. It, in turn, hikes its own lending rates to ensure it continues to make a profit.

Call Rate
Call rate is the interest rate paid by the banks for lending and borrowing for daily fund requirement. Si nce banks need funds on a daily basis, they lend to and borrow from other banks according to their daily or short-term requirements on a regular basis.

CRR
Also called the cash reserve ratio, refers to a portion of deposits (as cash) which banks have to keep/maintain with the RBI. This serves two purposes. It ensures that a portion of bank deposits is totally risk-free and secondly it enables that RBI control liquidity in the system, and thereby, inflation by tying their hands in lending money

SLR
Besides the CRR, banks are required to invest a portion of their deposits in government securities as a part of their statutory liquidity ratio (SLR) requirements. What SLR does is again restrict the bank’s leverage in pumping more money into the economy.

Last edited:

jamit_05

Einstein,

I meant to say that RBI will now turn its focus to reducing inflation, by curtailing the liquidity in the economy and hence gradually hiking interest rates.

jamit_05

Report Card
PE Ratios55.40
EPS (Rs.)5.14
Sales (Rs. Cr)817.00
Face Value (Rs.)5
Net Profit
Margin (%) 15.58
Last Bonus1:1
Last Dividend(%)35
Return on
Average Equity 67.68
FII reducing stake and public buying BV is 15.19 on Dec 2013
Am I missing something????
Castrol is one company which knows its business. It generates good amount of free cash every year. The only thing that makes me not want to buy this stock right now is its somewhat expensive valuation.

Investors have had high expectations from this stock in the past few years. However, its EPS is now reducing. Therefore, I expect a better bargain, around 230s, which will also give me enough Margin of Safety.

If one lands a 5% dividend yield, then it is a hold for a lifetime. Never sell it. :)

praveen taneja

Castrol is one company which knows its business. It generates good amount of free cash every year. The only thing that makes me not want to buy this stock right now is its somewhat expensive valuation.

Investors have had high expectations from this stock in the past few years. However, its EPS is now reducing. Therefore, I expect a better bargain, around 230s, which will also give me enough Margin of Safety.

If one lands a 5% dividend yield, then it is a hold for a lifetime. Never sell it. :)
sorry for my ignorance bro but how you calculate it I am slow learner read only 50 pages of this thread so far might be that is ahead???

jamit_05

sorry for my ignorance bro but how you calculate it I am slow learner read only 50 pages of this thread so far might be that is ahead???
Praveenji,

We are all learners. Stock market has a lot of money to offer to the people who have learned the right things.

About Castrol, do not be too focussed on any one detail like Div Yield or PE. Just be tuned in to make purchases at lower levels. It is a good company and is likely to give good returns in coming three years. Div Yield will be added bonus. By good returns, I mean, 15% CAGR.

Castrol gave a dividend of Rs.7 in 2012-13. So, if my purchase price is Rs.240 then it will give a yield of 3.75%.

In addition to this div yield, we will get price appreciation, provided we purchase the stock at good price.

praveen taneja

ok bro thnx alot for detail reply so keep finger cross for it to come at level you said god bless us all

jamit_05

I would like to suggest one more stock: gillette india

Is this stock worth investing in for the long term at cmp?

Gillette India has gone through several bouts of PE-upgrade. With EPS of 15.5 and CMP of 1870, its PE is a huge 121

I do not understand it, hence won't recommend it.

jamit_05

This kinda attitude of Mr.Nitin Gadkari, who will probably hold an important cabinet-portfolio in the days to come, is not good for the markets. I suppose, him being a senior minister in the party there must have been some kind of concensus within the party before he made such strong statements publicly.

He Gave An Open Warning To Pakistan. And the Conversation Came Down to Nuclear Strikes and Wars.

Not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKw48dxa-rI