minus point
small cap
sins four year price drop
face value is 2
low volume

expert's comment please

jamit_05

@toocool

I believe ones ability to read a price chart serves an important purpose. One can use it to take trading decisions, find where he may get momentum and what would be a good level to place his stop loss and set his exit points. I too am putting my skills with the chart to good use.

In the same breath, making long term investment in companies too has an important purpose to serve; A higher one. Once you get to know what it entails, once you have the "Ah-Ha" moment, you will not have the aversion.

Cheers.

Option.Trader

Jamit, requested your help on Selan explorations a long time ago, you missed on that occasion. Just wanted your view on it. Had entered a small quantity when it was still unknown @95, couldn't get an entry after that. I think it's a better play than Reliance, let me know your thoughts

Option.Trader

dont you think you are too late in asking here ?

it almost doubled in 3-4 months already :(:(

jamit can tell you about fundamental but technical tell me to wait , its rocketing too fast , may become choppy or something
That's the problem when you get an entry @95, every other level after that looks expensive for reentry and then its too late. I was hoping to get jamits take on fair value to see if reentry is possible, but somehow he missed looking at my post about 3 months earlier and I lost track

jamit_05

Jamit, requested your help on Selan explorations a long time ago, you missed on that occasion. Just wanted your view on it. Had entered a small quantity when it was still unknown @95, couldn't get an entry after that. I think it's a better play than Reliance, let me know your thoughts
Am extremely sorry 'ol friend.

I usually do not follow small caps, esp new ones. I could look up the numbers of Selan, but I will be frank, that the business of Energy companies is very difficult to understand... as they are very different from normal businesses of buying and selling simple stuff like furniture etc... this is one reason why I do not get down to buying energy exploration businesses like Ongc, Cairn and Reliance...

(but energy distribution business is very straight forward... like Gujrat Gas, Petronet and Gail)

Option.Trader

Am extremely sorry 'ol friend.

I usually do not follow small caps, esp new ones. I could look up the numbers of Selan, but I will be frank, that the business of Energy companies is very difficult to understand... as they are very different from normal businesses of buying and selling simple stuff like furniture etc... this is one reason why I do not get down to buying energy exploration businesses like Ongc, Cairn and Reliance...

(but energy distribution business is very straight forward... like Gujrat Gas, Petronet and Gail)
Fair enough, I will get back to silently following this wonderful thread

jamit_05

nicely said and i agree

but the power of technical analysis is no less then fundamentals , with TA we can make money without knowing or having desire to know anything about stock or market overall..............not only that , we can use this power for long term investing also .

i know nothing much about fundamentals of reliance, tv18, fsl, etc ..............but i know all of them are good long term bets..............not short of 3 times bagger atleast and maybe upto 10 times , in 5-10 years .

i have a belief that my Ah-Ha moment in technicals has come some 6 months back when i bought FSL for long term investing @12.50 rs a piece .............now trading @27 .

i bought reliance @870........cmp-960

tv18 @22.80.....cmp-28........:)
Consider this as my attempt in shedding light on the difference between trading and investing.

Am glad to see some positive numbers on your decisions to buy FSL, Reliance etc... but along the way there must have been some losers as well. Could mention the highest drawdown you have experienced. And most importantly are you able to deploy ALL of your cash in trading?

Last edited:

jamit_05

IDFC is one of the companies on my to-buy list for the very long term. It is a leading candidate in getting a Banking license. Just the rumour caused the price to rise from 90s to 130s. Does this mean, I should get on board now?

Not in principle because there are several possibilities. Banking is a competitive business. There is no guarantee that IDFC will perform as well as HDFC did. And surely it too will have a gestation period, in which EPS growth will be arrested, and even probably regress. This will give ample opportunity to buy the stock.

Again, buy good stock and good price. Then hold as long as the stock remains good.