Option Selling during quarterly results

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
has anyone done analysis of Faaarrrr away strangle in Nifty?

for example writing 10000 PE and 13000 CE (monthly), agree that it needed 1.2L as capital but one could earn potentially 1%+ p.m. If they put money in this trade vs in say FD. Just hypothetical question as i'm new to Option world.
Yes earlier I used to do that taking .15 or .20 Delta on both sides on the monthly options. If there is a rapid movement one can keep adjusting the positive side to match the delta of the losing side.

Another way to play the monthly options on a weekly basis is do the strangle on the .15/.20 delta on week1, and then next week. do the same again on the monthly with the new .15/.20 delta. This way you are playing weekly but on the monthly options. Kind of Strangle laddering. You keep moving as market moves. This way direction becomes irrelevant. Let me put some trades. If not real ones atleast the simulated ones.to demonstrate it.

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
@siddhant4u I am creating a position(Real Account) in Nov Series with delta ~15 on both sides. Time is also nice since IV has been rising.
We will Adjust at the max one and rarely twice if any side of the leg is being tested. We Will Start Exiting the position Once we get 50%-80% of the premium received. Next week if the market stays around the same levels we will not create position. If the market moves we will create fresh position with Delta 15 and so on for the week after. We will track them EOD/EOW. what you say.

1602220125754.png

1602220171883.png

1602220237883.png

mohan.sic

More I look at option writing more it looks lucrative!
ITC bear call spread at start of month would have needed (still need) 35,000 as margin. 1% means 350 Rs which is 11paise.

I guess tough thing to know is directions...
In general- option writing for time decay is highly lucrative window shopping deal.. :)

Anyway the big issue is at 2 levels -

1. Many people who do back testing on option writing just do it on expiry prices. So they never knew draw downs on gap ups and gap downs

2. Adding to point 1 - they don't know snapshot max drawdowns occurred on minute to minute basis during volatile moves.

I can say with confidence that most of the back testing's does not cover point 2. So the key is remains that - if the system, traders psyche, traders risk tolerance and appetite levels can hold the drawdown's.

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
In general- option writing for time decay is highly lucrative window shopping deal.. :)

Anyway the big issue is at 2 levels -

1. Many people who do back testing on option writing just do it on expiry prices. So they never knew draw downs on gap ups and gap downs

2. Adding to point 1 - they don't know snapshot max drawdowns occurred on minute to minute basis during volatile moves.

I can say with confidence that most of the back testing's does not cover point 2. So the key is remains that - if the system, traders psyche, traders risk tolerance and appetite levels can hold the drawdown's.
High Confidence in market is injurious. In the opstradefine edge websitesite you can see the option prices in back testing every 5 minutes how the situation looks. Allow me to illustrate it with an example Let me select March 2020 monthly expiry Series I will build a position say March 16th.Creating a strangle with delta ~15 on both sides. Now look at the buttons where I can click forward and backwards by 5m,15m,30m,1 Hr and 1 Day.

Yes in between the position was in Red on certain days. Like all the trading systems this will have MAE and MFE situations and drawdowns.

So there is a way to backtest the position every 5 minutes and check how did it look in the past. Since the win % here is around 70% the trader has to adjust the risk appetite accordingly since the reward is defined. It depends on the traders mindset. IF psychologically this kind of trading fits their porfile.

1602386339375.png

1602386602360.png

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
More I look at option writing more it looks lucrative!
ITC bear call spread at start of month would have needed (still need) 35,000 as margin. 1% means 350 Rs which is 11paise.

I guess tough thing to know is directions...
Normally at the beginning it is better to avoid stock options because of the following reasons.
1. Not much liquidity
2. Stock specific news
3. Stocks can move wildly.

When or how many times do you see Index moving 5% or greater in a year.
In August I was doing Long Call Butterfly in Reliance one leg was ITM or Deep ITM. There was no liquidity at all. It had to scratch the trade. Imagine if reliance does not have liquidity then forget about other stocks.

Normally at the beginning it is better to avoid stock options because of the following reasons.
1. Not much liquidity
2. Stock specific news
3. Stocks can move wildly.

When or how many times do you see Index moving 5% or greater in a year.
In August I was doing Long Call Butterfly in Reliance one leg was ITM or Deep ITM. There was no liquidity at all. It had to scratch the trade.
Imagine if reliance does not have liquidity then forget about other stocks.
Maybe that the liquidity was not present in that particular strike on that day. But do you mean to say that none of the stock options have liquidity worth trading, even the BIG STOCKS ?

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
Maybe that the liquidity was not present in that particular strike on that day. But do you mean to say that none of the stock options have liquidity worth trading, even the BIG STOCKS ?
when one leg goes Deep ITM it becomes very difficult. same happened for me in Bajaj Finance. Most of the concentration is in Index options.
In Stock Options only few are liquid. If you go Deep ITM the bid ask spread widens and not many participants. Market makers will have a field day at it.