My experiments with MFs

Raj232

Was anybody able to check / verify this :
Q: Whether mfuindia provides e-CAS with transaction history ?

Another important point that I have noticed is that mutual funds always over perform over a certain period of 3-4 months or under-perform..

e.g. Banking Index moved X amount on 12th-Jan-2024, but if you check the mutual funds their returns are quite different in comparison for the day:

As per data below the gain for the day varied between 0.32% to 0.70% which is quite surprising that some fnd makes double of what the other makes even in the same sector.
I thought that they have the fund composition according to the Benchmark index with slight variation..

any thoughts.. anyone ??

1705343351412.png

Was anybody able to check / verify this :
Q: Whether mfuindia provides e-CAS with transaction history ?

Another important point that I have noticed is that mutual funds always over perform over a certain period of 3-4 months or under-perform..
e.g. Banking Index moved X amount on 12th-Jan-2024, but if you check the mutual funds their returns are quite different in comparison for the day:

As per data below the gain for the day varied between 0.32% to 0.70% which is quite surprising that some fnd makes double of what the other makes even in the same sector.
I thought that they have the fund composition according to the Benchmark index with slight variation..

any thoughts.. anyone ??

View attachment 50198
MFU is great for transacting. The best so far.

Reports, I don't know. Need to know from the other members.

Of course, one can't transact in the demat folios, but it would be great to be able to view them, both separately and jointly.

Raj232

MFU is great for transacting. The best so far.

Reports, I don't know. Need to know from the other members.

Of course, one can't transact in the demat folios, but it would be great to be able to view them, both separately and jointly.
Is there any upper limit for transacting ? Another site has Rs 2 Lac limit

Is there any upper limit for transacting ? Another site has Rs 2 Lac limit
No idea. Which other site ? I am also transacting through Groww and Finvasia. Used Mobikwik too, but no longer using it.

Not that I am ever going up to 2 lacs on any day :D

Raj232

No idea. Which other site ? I am also transacting through Groww and Finvasia. Used Mobikwik too, but no longer using it.

Not that I am ever going up to 2 lacs on any day :D
Not even for switch or redemption? ... looks like the AMC is squeezing every bit of profit out of your account :DD:DD:DD

Have you noticed, that whenever the market moves up +1% all the so called Large cap funds move up by +0.75% only
when the market falls by -2% .. the fund NAV is -2% or more.. how come the investor always loses with MF's ?

Not only there are yearly charges by Mutual Funds (bet +1% to 2% ) for managing your money, but also redemption charges for equity funds if you didnt stay for at least 1 year :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am switching in the next round to ETF's instead of MF's..

Raj232

........... and trade ETFs through which platform ?

One option may be to look for MFs with zero lock in.
Only ELSS which has 3 yr lock-in period.
LOCK-IN PERIOD: ELSS funds have a three-year lock-in period, which means investors cannot redeem their investments before this time. Investors, however, have the option to redeem their ELSS units after the lock-in period.

EXIT LOAD: Generally, fund houses charge an exit load of around 1% on redemption value. It is common for the fund houses to charge exit load if you as an investor redeem the units within a year. While there is no exit load is charged post one year of investment in the same scheme.

more info on GROWW website: https://groww.in/blog/mutual-fund-fees-and-charges

ETF's usually traded on trading platform which is similar to stocks e.g. Zerodha

List of ETF's on NSE here : https://www.moneycontrol.com/mf/etf/

Raj232

Know how much your AMCs earn
MF industry earns over Rs.8000 crore in FY 2021-22.

An analysis of net profit or profit after tax (PAT) done by Cafemutual shows that the MF industry has earned net profit of over Rs.8000 crore in FY 2021-22 as against Rs.6800 crore in FY 2020-21, a growth of 34%.

Net profit is derived after deducting all expenses like operation, taxation and so on. We have covered 35 AMCs to arrive at this data. Data from five AMCs – Bank of India, Franklin Templeton, HSBC, IDBI and Trust could not be obtained.

Of the 35 AMCs, 27 AMCs were profitable last financial year. Of the profitable companies, only three AMCs saw negative growth.

Overall, ICICI Prudential AMC became most profitable fund house last financial year with PAT of Rs.1450 crore. HDFC AMC and SBI AMC were the next two in the list with net profits of Rs.1400 crore and Rs.1100 crore, respectively.

Talking about profits, the MD and CEO of a top fund house requesting anonymity said that AMCs is not a profitable business compared to other financial products. “With assets close to Rs.32 lakh crore as on March 2021, the entire industry booked net profit of just Rs.8000 crore, which is just not even 1/4th of a basis point. With assets size like this or even less assets, banks make much more profits compared to mutual funds. Even insurance companies are making good profits compared to the assets they manage.”

All in all, AMCs derive profit from three businesses – mutual funds, PMS and AIFs and offshore advisory among other things.

Two AMCs - Motilal Oswal MF and IIFL MF with focus on PMS and AIF space did well last financial year. Both companies have reported net profit of Rs.284 crore and Rs.165 crore, respectively, which was more than that of most top 20 fund houses.

Nine companies reported net loss with PGIM, Mahindra and ITI among the AMCs with over Rs.30 crore of losses.

Here is the complete of net profits of AMCs:

For more details visit: https://cafemutual.com/news/industry/28391-know-how-much-your-amcs-earn

Raj232

List of Liquid ETF's with their Symbol

Name - Symbol,
Goldman Sachs PSU Bank BeES - PSUB,
Nippon Nifty 50 BeES - NBES,
Nippon India ETF Nifty IT - NIPD,
Nippon India Gold BeES - GBES,
Nippon India Nifty Pharma - NIPT,
Goldman Sachs CPSE - GOMS,
Nippon India Silver - NIPS,
Goldman Sachs Banking - BBES,
Goldman Sachs Liquid BeES - LBES,
Mirae Asset Hang Seng TECH - MIRH,
DSP BR Liquid NS - DSPL,
Nippon Nifty 50 BeES - NBES,
Mirae Asset Nifty Financial Services - MIRN,
ICICI Prudential IT - IICR,
Mirae Asset Nifty Midcap 150 - MIAN,
DSP Nifty Private Bank - DSPR,
ICICI Prudential Nifty 200 Momentum 30 - ICI2,
Motilal Oswal Most Shares Midcap 100 - M100,
BHARAT 22 - ICPR,
Mirae Asset Hang Seng TECH - MIRH,
Nippon India ETF Long Term Gilt - NTFL,
Reliance Nifty Midcap 150 - NTFM,
ICICI Prudential Nifty PSU Bank - ICCP,
Mirae Asset Nifty Midcap 150 - MIAN,
Mirae Asset NYSE FANG+ - MIRS,
ICICI Prudential Nifty Next 50 - ICIT,
HDFC Nifty Smallcap 250 - HFCM,
UTI Bank Exchange Traded Fund - UTIB,
SBI Nifty 50 - SBFP,
Motilal Oswal MOSt Shares NASDAQ 100 - N100,
SBI Gold - SBIG,
DSP Nifty PSU Bank - DSPU,
HDFC Gold - HDGO,
Goldman Sachs Liquid BeES - LBES,
Goldman Sachs Hang Seng - HNGS,
ICICI Prudential Liquid - ICIP,
ICICI Prudential Nifty - ICNI,
ICICI Prudential Bank - ICIA,
Kotak Gold - KTGF,
Nippon India PSU Bank BeES - PSUB,
Motilal Oswal Nifty 500 - MOTY,
SBI Sensex - SBIS,
ICICI Prudential Midcap 150 - IICP,
Aditya Birla Sun Life Nifty Healthcare - AITA,
Nippon India Bank BeES - BBES,
ICICI Prudential Gold - IPEG,
ICICI Prudential Midcap Select iWIN - ICIU,
ICICI Prudential Silver - IICD,
Kotak Nifty Alpha 50 - KOTN,
ICICI Prudential Nifty Commodities - IICA

Only ELSS which has 3 yr lock-in period.
LOCK-IN PERIOD: ELSS funds have a three-year lock-in period, which means investors cannot redeem their investments before this time. Investors, however, have the option to redeem their ELSS units after the lock-in period.

EXIT LOAD: Generally, fund houses charge an exit load of around 1% on redemption value. It is common for the fund houses to charge exit load if you as an investor redeem the units within a year. While there is no exit load is charged post one year of investment in the same scheme.

more info on GROWW website: https://groww.in/blog/mutual-fund-fees-and-charges

ETF's usually traded on trading platform which is similar to stocks e.g. Zerodha

List of ETF's on NSE here : https://www.moneycontrol.com/mf/etf/
Yeah. But groww pushes you towards Growth option. For a lot of funds they say "Invest more not allowed". Also, redemption through them seems to take 3-4 days.

ELSS funds do not trade as ETFs, do they ? Generally ETFs should not have any lock in period, should be traded like equity scrips / BEES, right ?