internet connection-reliance forced to upgrade to 4g

pakatil

I have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

Does anyone here use Reliance (wifi or dongle) as their primary connection for trading? If so, how reliable is it during live trading sessions, and do you have a backup internet -- is it a fixed line connection or another wireless connection?

Alternatively, if Reliance (wifi or dongle) is your secondary connection then which provider do you use for your primary internet?

Thanks in advance.
BSNL is my Primary Net connection from 2006. Nothing to grouse.

Reliance NetConnect Secondary Connection since 2008, but rarely used.

Cheers:D

In Mumbai.

Been a loyal user since 2007. It was great till about 2014 and has deteriorated in the past 1 year. This past month, it's been totally unusable... But since Vodafone has speculatively purchased You Broadband, I'm guessing they will be forced to change their ways.
Of late, I have been receiving daily SMS from them regarding renewal :)

Contra

Of late, I have been receiving daily SMS from them regarding renewal :)
That's an annoying problem with them. They have the inability to think outside the box and are the masters of canned responses. I've had to threaten disconnection to get even basic services restored. I guess the only reason I'm still sticking with YB is because of nostalgia purposes since I made my first buck while on that connection. Also, I hope that with the acquisition by Vodafone, something good comes out of them and they earn their keep. Their plans are cheap but that's all there is to them right now.

Anyway, back to Reliance -- I just got to know that to activate 4G services on your supported device, you may have to send an sms START to 1925

Source: Reliance asks 4G upgrade customers to send SMS to activate data

Last edited:

natjay

Here's a public notice put up by Reliance that talks about the ongoing CDMA to 4G migration and says that port outs to other operators are available till 16 Aug 2016. The implicit inference of that seems to be that, post-16 Aug, we should be able to see the "real" 4G on a pan-India basis and not just circle-wise that has been happening in the past couple months..

Also, according to the Rcom website (under 4G tab), 4G is supposedly live in Mumbai. But my phone still shows H/H+ (which is 3 to 3.5G)

natjay

I got my bill today too but that's for the postpaid mobile. Incidentally, the bill shows that I have 2 services active on the same number (possibly one related to the erstwhile CDMA and the second related to the new GSM/4G)... This despite the fact that I've migrated to 4G in May itself.

As far as adjustments go, the only times I see those are when I end up paying excess in advance.

Come to think of it, wasn't Reliance going to give us 10GB of free internet usage for 1 month, post migration to 4G? I'm guessing the adjustment figure in your case might be related to the the value of that 10GB credited to your account. Of course, it's better to clarify that with Rcom itself... But the reason I think this might be the case is because I remember some Netconnect usage charges on my 4G-migrated phone that were reversed and discounted in the previous month's bill.

I got my bill today too but that's for the postpaid mobile. Incidentally, the bill shows that I have 2 services active on the same number (possibly one related to the erstwhile CDMA and the second related to the new GSM/4G)... This despite the fact that I've migrated to 4G in May itself.

As far as adjustments go, the only times I see those are when I end up paying excess in advance.

Come to think of it, wasn't Reliance going to give us 10GB of free internet usage for 1 month, post migration to 4G? I'm guessing the adjustment figure in your case might be related to the the value of that 10GB credited to your account. Of course, it's better to clarify that with Rcom itself... But the reason I think this might be the case is because I remember some Netconnect usage charges on my 4G-migrated phone that were reversed and discounted in the previous month's bill.
Mine is postpaid too. I have a wipod, not sure if 4g activated yet. Will find out next week.

meanwhile, I have written to them asking for an explanation of the adjustment charges. Will wait for their response.

pakatil

My CDMA Data card stopped working from 3 days. Only 1x speed coming. HSD no signal at all. Went to Reliance retail outlet and got 4G Sim and registered it.

Retail store offering Wipod at 900 Rs and RCom online store offering the same at 1899 Rs. And Both have no stock.

And to crown all these 4g services are yet to start in Bangalore.......

Hapless customers have to live with 1x speed.....:D

vijkris

Learner and Follower
My CDMA Data card stopped working from 3 days. Only 1x speed coming. HSD no signal at all. Went to Reliance retail outlet and got 4G Sim and registered it.

Retail store offering Wipod at 900 Rs and RCom online store offering the same at 1899 Rs. And Both have no stock.

And to crown all these 4g services are yet to start in Bangalore.......

Hapless customers have to live with 1x speed.....:D
that 1x tower will also shut down soon. don worry. :thumb:
in my city also they first switched off hsd, then in few weeks 1x..

natjay

Reliance 4G finally got activated on my sim card. Internet definitely feels "buffer free" and fluid. There's a perceptible difference between this and the earlier iteration of GSM/3G/CDMA.

Actually, yesterday, WiFi was working really bad on my alternate 3G/WiFi connection. It was dropping a lot of times (same with 3G). I had trouble transacting on secure pages. It was only later in the day that I found out that 4G had been activated.

Anyway, below is the speed test result on 4G