How to trade with an oscillator

Dear ST,
In nifty futures weekly basis there is positive divergence on both stochastics and rsi, those who have sold at higher levels, now is the time to book profits or any other confirmation needed ? Please reply at your free time.
regards,
anjanbm
Dear ST,
At your free time please reply your valuable comments on my query , if any mistake in my query guide me.
Regards,
anjanbm
Your query got run over ...which post are you referring to ?

ST

Re: How to trade with an oscillator
Dear ST,
In nifty futures weekly basis there is positive divergence on both stochastics and rsi, those who have sold at higher levels, now is the time to book profits or any other confirmation needed ? Please reply at your free time.
regards,
anjanbm
There are two schools of thoughts.....One school says I am short at say 5400.....my analysis shows that the market is going to go to 4400 or even lower, then I will ride the corrective upmove and hold the short positions. The other school to which I belong to will say ok I shorted at 5400, but if my chart is showing divergence and smaller timeframes like hourly is showing the short term uptrend, I will cover , possibly go long, and again open short positions at 4750 or 4850 wherever I get the short signal and ride the current short term uptrend . This way suppose if the market has already reversed and the next major uptrend starting, I will not miss out....and if the downtrend resumes, will go short again at higher levels...

I am never comfortable holding any position against the current trend....irrespective of where I have sold......but that is a call everyone has to take.

Smart_trade

Smartrade, would you not agree with me that the stochastics rising much quicker than price (By comparison to how fast it dropped with price.), that the reversal is very close, especially with he reading in the 90's? I was looking at chart R namely the swing low just under 4760 or the swing high, which appears around 4780, to be containment.

Rangarajan,

I have mentioned so many times that when oscillator goes into overbought zone and stays there for more than 5 bars,the market is likely to go higher but when we say buy the dips...means buy when ? when the fall stops and the upmove resumes. This is confirmed when some pivot high is broken...but today we saw that there was no pivot high broken after that 5 bars in OB and market came down and the oscillator went in oversold area....so no no buy here. Also by that time we knew that the 60 min chart had a bearish piercing /tweezer top pattern which is bearish...this again suggests no buying...

Smart_trade

Timepass, I agree with you for the most part, but let me direct the answer to the posts in 1104 and 1123

I talked about this before, but let's say you are looking at a lower TF, and there are strong implications of a move going the opposite way on higher TF's. Forget what the lower has to say about it.

Here we go. Personal experience again. When the EUR/CHF as dropping to Never-never land, the 4-hour and daily was OS at circa 1.1450. 1 1/2 weeks later it was at 1.0089. Regardless of what the stochs say, never get in the way of a freight train.

This goes back to Theartofweb's 2 recent posts. Look at the higher TF's. I guarantee you they had overwhelming evidence of the continued move north.

Ranga

1) When the stochs are above 90, there's not much room for them to go up, is there ? It doesn't mean that the price won't go much higher, but it means that a downside is near.

2) You can google for tweezer tops / bottoms. There's a wealth of material on the net about it. Basically a Tweezer Top is formed when a green candle and the following red candle have the same top (of body), and a tweezer bottom is formed when a red candle and the following green candle have the same bottom (of body, I am not sure about the wicks/tails).

Click here.

Smartrade, along the same point you mentioned is why you cannot take on indication on one TF. It takes a confluence in order to accurately assess the market.

It was kind of comical one time. I was in a conversation in a chat room I had in 2007. We were talking about single indications. I posted 5 charts of when a MACD formed positive divergence and headed lower. I almost had the guys believing to go short on a positive divergence. It was just to point out no indicator is wrong or right, but a confluence of indications is always needed.

These false signals will come on any method. Show me any one method on which there are no false trades. The short trade was perfect.....but when the market which broke the pivot low, reversed and closed above the pivot is called a breakdown failure. In such failures either you have to get out of the short trade quickly with minimum damage . The failures set up very reliable trades in the opposite direction. An alert trader can even go long on this failure and profit from the upmove which followed.

Also if you see the larger picture, the uptrend has just started, the gap was a breakout gap...so got to be very fast and agile in short trades.

Smart_trade

Dear Smart,
I am posting today's chart of NF,both 5min & One hr,stoch 8,3,4.
Though,the stoch stayed in o/b from 10.35-11.05,7bars,it did not exceed the high of 4808 made at 10.55.
Remembering the Longer TF,one hr chart did not suggest any Down trend,perhaps a retracement was thought because of o/b in 5minTF.
At 11.10,it formed a Lower pivot,tempting a buy.But the stock fell all the way,forming a H & S pattern also.

Pl discuss,why one should not have gone long on dips esp 11.10 pivot

It also formed +ve Divergence bet 11.45 to 13.05,which also did not pay had one gone long above 4772,13.0hr candle.Ofcourse,at this time the one hr trend was down but for a 20pts tgt,what was wrong in going long in a lower TF anticipating a pull back?
Ranga

how did you traded today?
there was 2 divergence but price didnt went up

Praveen

EagleOne

...I am never comfortable holding any position against the current trend....irrespective of where I have sold......
Smart_trade
Bingo. :thumb:
The singlemost remedy for almost all trading woes.
Thanks, ST.

rangarajan

Ranga

how did you traded today?
there was 2 divergence but price didnt went up

Praveen
Dear praveen,
Excellent for yr observation.
I was about to post the chart for seeking the opinion of the participants & u have asked it.
Pl post the chart for discussion by the experts so that we can learn.
I have rarely seen two such dive in immediate succession.

Ranga

Here is the chart..
I was hoping that it will also go up..it crosses 21 MA also(as ST bro told that its confirm entry) ...but it didnt went up ..although its very range bound market..

ST ..I am struggling to identify range bound market...How do you identify it

Thanks

Praveen