How to trade with an oscillator

What to do when %R indicators with different settings all go to OS like 0% ??

I have been trying to understand if that indicator can be used in cyclic analysis.

Say, on a daily chart I apply 8/16/32/64-period %R and they all get sync in the OS area (-20%) is it that a good buy signal I mean does that maximize the odds to catch an uptrend movement or the indicator may always stay OS for a very long time?

On the other hand, I have come to notice that when a new cycle begins (short, medium, long term) the %R blasting off in the OB zone may help me undertsnad how strong the cycle is i.e. the 8-R% and the 16-R% going in OB are at once and staying there for a while I understand the a new 16/32-day cycles has just begun :thumb:

I am glad that I found this thread because I think %R can be of great help to assess cycles :clap:

Re: How to trade with an oscillator
Dear ST,
In nifty futures weekly basis there is positive divergence on both stochastics and rsi, those who have sold at higher levels, now is the time to book profits or any other confirmation needed ? Please reply at your free time.
regards,
anjanbm

Hi ST,
If only your time permits, Could you please help us to understand, how to take trade in 5 minutes TF by comparing 30 and 60 minutes TF like as you explained yesterday for one or two days. Though we take trades using 5 minutes, as learners we all have trouble in reading 5 minutes with 30 and 60. Your help would really help lot of beginners to avoid most false trades... Thanks a lot for your valuable time

Thanks
Bala

Last edited:

ptk

Dear Smart_Trade,

I am sorry to ask you this question on this thread, but I know for sure that this thread is alive and I have a good chance of getting a reply.

I was going through the "Sticky" threads, the thread started by Pride about Profit everyday. The thread made a lot of sense, my confidence gained when I also read your comment on why the strategy will work etc.

As I came to the end of the thread, there were many arguments and later I found that even Pride has stopped using the strategy and the thread is closed too.

Take the case of the thread started by Saint, its closed, no posts since 2008, I wonder whether I should even start reading it if I am anyway going to find out in the end that NO ONE is trading with this strategy.

I am not comfortable with the fact that markets change and strategies stop from working and I highly appreciate you for the fact that you dont prefer changing the indicator settings. I prefer to work on a strategy and stick to it, if market has changed I will be stopped out which is ok.

My questions are as follows:-
1. What all topics have you found useful and have passed the test of time?
2. Why have saint and pride completely disappeared?
3. Should we really have those threads in "sticky" section which even the authors have stopped trading?
4. It happens so many times that the thread starts with something and ends will something entirely different as if you have mistakenly skipped to some other thread.
5. There are so many posts on traderji and I am really confused which ones to read and follow, only to find out later that the thread is dead and no one follows it, like a city where no one lives anymore.

I request you to help me out.

Regards

Last edited:

EagleOne

@TheArtofWeb, Anjan, Bala and PTK
Wow. Great posts, intelligent questions. Thanks.
Like you, I'd also be looking forward to reading ST's replies. :)

ptk, it doesn't matter whether the author is an active trader or not, an active traderji member or not, whether the thread is alive or not. What matters is that the posts are there, the information/knowledge is there, and that you have clicked on them because you found it worth clicking on, so you may as well read it and if there is something more you want to ask/add, just post it, maybe you will invoke some replies and revive the thread.

As to the thread getting derailed, this one is about oscillators and is in Day Trading section, isn't it? Yet we are talking about site related matters here. Such is the nature of a public forum :)

PTK, I know you aimed your Q at ST, but I'd like to add a perspective from experience, and add something to what Timepass said.

First of all from an information gathering point of view, Timepass nailed it. Use any thread where the information is of interest to you as an information and knowledge gathering point, regardless who the author is, and regardless if it appeared that methodology has changed. Do not let those things discourage you. Someone may have changed because they found something better for them personally to implement into their everyday trading style. It does not mean what they originally showed has just stopped working.
Also, if I had to guess, ST has a passion for the stochastics, which is why he likes sharing his knowledge concerning it. It is probably not the only element of his methodology

From a personal experience, my methodology has evolved over time. Even though I have been trading for 7 1/2 years, I still experiment with new indicators and inquire about others' methodologies to see if there is some added edge I can add to my knowledge based or methodological approach to the markets. I've had indicators I've stopped using, others I've simply rejected, but it does not mean they do not work.
My methodology was firmly ensconced in 2007. Simply put, there has been no wholesale changes to it since then, even though it will always continue to evolve. In essence, (I know some might disagree with me here.), once a methodology has been fully developed (aka 2007 for me), it should always work within any market condition. I don't want to take a lot of time in ST's thread to elaborate on that, but a methodology will not stop working just because times change.

Dear Smart_Trade,

I am sorry to ask you this question on this thread, but I know for sure that this thread is alive and I have a good chance of getting a reply.

I was going through the "Sticky" threads, the thread started by Pride about Profit everyday. The thread made a lot of sense, my confidence gained when I also read your comment on why the strategy will work etc.

As I came to the end of the thread, there were many arguments and later I found that even Pride has stopped using the strategy and the thread is closed too.

Take the case of the thread started by Saint, its closed, no posts since 2008, I wonder whether I should even start reading it if I am anyway going to find out in the end that NO ONE is trading with this strategy.

I am not comfortable with the fact that markets change and strategies stop from working and I highly appreciate you for the fact that you dont prefer changing the indicator settings. I prefer to work on a strategy and stick to it, if market has changed I will be stopped out which is ok.

3. Should we really have those threads in "sticky" section which even the authors have stopped trading?
4. It happens so many times that the thread starts with something and ends will something entirely different as if you have mistakenly skipped to some other thread.
5. There are so many posts on traderji and I am really confused which ones to read and follow, only to find out later that the thread is dead and no one follows it, like a city where no one lives anymore.

Regards

Dear Smart_Trade,

Regards
Dear ptk,

There are many threads in this forum which contain very valuable information which is still very much valid. But the thread starter may have stopped posting in that thread. But that does not mean that the strategy no longer works or the thread starter does not trade that strategy any more.

Regarding Pride's thread I remember posting a post initially when he started the thread to encourage him.I was not following that thread not because the strategy does not work but I was following some other strategy which I like more. About the Pride's strategy, Pride himself or someone else who traded that method for a long time will be able to give more inputs. That thread was made sticky because many were following that thread and when you have many members following a thread, that thread generally has some valuable trading information. But as you pointed out, removing any thread from being "sticky" can be considered if the thread is left halfway and now not many are following it.

About Saint , he has not disappeared, he has some excellent threads like "Teach a Man to fish.........and he is not posting on this forum regularly because he along with few trader friends has started a new forum and he is very active there. All the methods which he trades have basics which were shared in his threads here....though now these methods have undergone changes/ have become more advanced with many advanced trading concepts incorporated. We all are continuously evolving as traders and in our methods also , a method I was trading 5 years ago has undergone lots of changes as we incorporate new concepts. All good traders always have a collection of few methods which have undergone changes over time.....some they may not be trading at the moment because they are trading a better method which they like more.....but the methods still work, they can take any method and trade profitably on that method anytime as they know the nuances of that method as they have traded it themselves.....

Trading requires lots of knowledge about trends,fractals,timeframes, oscillators and their behaviour,price action, risk control,position sizing and many many more things. It is not that you have a chart, see the arrows and take your trades......if that was so simple, why are good traders paid very handsomely by the hedge funds/institutions ? They can always have good softwares/codes/AFLs but still good traders are in very high demand all over the world.

So trader acquires all this knowledge , experiments, improve,incorporate newer concepts and this process is ongoing.....I keep looking at newer trading ideas which I can incorporate in my methods but the basic template of the methods remain same. It takes time and that is why we say that it takes minimum 3 years for a trader to mature into a good trader. It is unlikely that you will get all the trading knowledge in just 2-3 threads......it is a lot of work .

I see that you have already started on the right path and I can assure you that though it is a long and at times frustrating journey....at the end of it all it will be highly satisfying and rewarding experience.

Good luck in your journey.:)

Smart_trade

rangarajan

Dear Smart,
Quote:
'But as you pointed out, removing any thread from being "sticky" can be considered if the thread is left halfway and now not many are following it'.

Unquote:

I beg to differ from you as far as removing Saint's 'Teach a man To Fish" thread from Sticky

This is not because i am a Long time admirer of Saint,but because of its value to a beginner & experienced traders alike.
A new comer to this fantastic forum may not be aware of this thread if it is removed & deprived of his privilege to read this.
For such threads,it is immaterial whether the thread starter is active or not but they are stand alone threads unlike oscillators(which u often say).

There may be many other equally valuable threads & one should have no reservation if they are made sticky for the benifit of newcomers & ever beginers like me.:)

This is just my opinion which i am entitled to i suppose.