How to get Intraday Quotes using Medved Quotetracker for FREE

murthymsr

tezimandi said:
hi guys tell me can we see more than 6 month's chart in qt
please tell me
the FREE version has a 6 month historical data limit.

murthymsr

newbie_7 said:
hello,
can u tell me if medved reads eod data in metastock format. i'm currently subscribed with viratech.
thanks.
QT reads data from the listed quote sources only. cannot access any third party data or from hard disk, whatever be the format.

murthymsr

dear puneet,
i am replying your PM through this post, as others too may become aware of. hope you don't mind.

Saw your various posts on qutoetracker on this site and with the guidance from that was able to:

1. Download the Program.
2. Configure it to NSE Server for quotes and index.
3. Later added symbols for indices in portfolio.
4. Was able to do backfill from yahoo site for EOD data.

Feeling happy about getting so far.

Since just started working on the progaram, queries will be there, and who better to ask than someone who has been working successfully with the program for some time (i saw your message on quotetracker's discussion forum and Jerry's reply too).
i was using QT regularly, but not of late, but i try to answer as much as i can.

Query 1: Refresh Rate experienced by you.
Options-> data sources/proxy -> Indices
Refresh rate for Index : Best case 15 seconds if NSE server is chosen.
on Intraday chart window right click -> Frequency -> 1 minute is the best case.

What setting you use and how satisfactory is the refresh rate for you, in other words, how near to the "real time". which data server you use, if not NSE.
the best settings will depend on number of your stocks and the speed of your connection. on a private ISP, nearly as good as the Dataone, i found the settings of 15 seconds for indices a good one. i was monitoring a list of about 30 stocks (one page full) with a refresh rate of 30 secs/ 1minute and the performance is ok.

i have another big list of about 200 stocks which i was refreshing only manually, a few times a day and using the sort by column facility. as time passed by, i found that is the best way it can be made use of.

subsequently, i realised that the data by NSE through QT is delayed by about 3 minutes. refreshing a data 3 minutes old at 15 sec or even 1 min intervals may serve no purpose. this is the main reason of not using the program now-a-days.

Query 2: Backfill for Intraday Charts
yahoo is not available in backfill (its only avlbl in historical backfill. i.e. Options-> data sources/proxy->historical backfill), so which server would you configure to for backfill.

As, i understand, quote tracker has to be running thruout market hours to give intraday chart (a continous chart). If you turn off comp for 30 mins, the data for those 30 mins will be blank. Is there anyway to backfill this, when you turn on the comp after 30 mins.

Is it possible to get intra-day data for last few days, in quote-tracker. If so how.

"2 days intraday data limitation" in free (read adware version) of quotetracker is only for displaying the Intraday multiday chart. Or quotetracker discards (does not store) intra-day data beyond 2 days from today.
these are the real limitations for a serious trader. and i couldn't find any ready made solutions for them.

Query 3: Quotes & Charts, EOD as well as Intraday, for Derivatives in quotetracker.

Yes, i heard you saying, it has been asked so many times in various posts, and answer is no. but just to confirm that i have the latest news, i am asking this once again, has someone discovered some way to get derivatives data into the quote-tracker.

Thanks for your time, reading my mail.
warm regards,
puneet
i must agree at this stage of letter, that you have studied in depth at least as much as i have studied, otherwise, you could not have made out such a deep and detailed letter. :) anyway, i have not made any attempts in this direction, as i invest only in cash market.

now about my trading platform, as you may be surprised of what i am doing now-a-days! : i being a short-term investor of small magnitude, i am satisfied with use of Fcharts/ Amibroker/ FiboCharts for EOD data based shortlisting. i presently use pankaj's EOD download-converter, for EOD data downloading and convertion of input into charting SW.

further shortlisting is done on seeing next day morning's market. for monitoring during market hours i am slowly getting used to using Tetracool's Cool Intra.

both sw are developed in-house by members of this forum and they are ready to provide any more features requested, and they are free too.

all the best.
MurthyMSR

Friends
I am new to this forum( as well as stock market) and I am getting a lot of ifo on this site .
I came across this Medved Quotetracker in this threadand i have downloaded the software ,however I am unable to find the NSe dat( and sensex data) .
Please help me out to get the data without which the software will not be of any use

Regards

Bhanu Prakash

murthymsr

I am unable to find the NSe dat( and sensex data) .
Please help me out to get the data without which the software will not be of any use
dear bhanuprakash,

you will NOT get sensex & other BSE indices.
but you can get NSE indices data.
please read through the previous posts in this thread.

MurthyMSR

Hello,

I have been using QuoteTracker for sometime and have the following issues:

a) Whenever a stock name includes the symbol '&,' the Yahoo backfill does not work. For example: the stocks J&K Bank (Yahoo: J&KBANK.NS), M&M (Yahoo: M&M.NS), SB&T International (Yahoo: SB&TINTL.NS) do get updated from NSE, but the back fill does not work.

How to make the backfill work from Yahoo - in such cases?

b) In other cases - the Yahoo backfill simply does not work for other stocks.
For example UNITECH.NS works fine on Yahoo website, but does not work in
backfill.

Any comments.
Thanks
SG