HAPPY's Trading Dairy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the short trade, break down failure

no long trade for now

:) Happy

Hello

For my trading I normally look at charts on 3 time frames. Daily for the context, 30 Minutes for trend definition & 10 minutes is the trading time frame.
I am comfortable using 30 minutes as trend decider and have stopped referring hourly charts for it.

I am also comfortable using 10 minutes for deciding entry/exit/sl levels for the swing trades.
but for the intraday trades at times 10 minutes seems to be slow, and
my intraday trades seems more to be scale-in//scale-outs of the swing trades . . .

As i do not need to monitor daily TF continuously, I can drop it from the trading screen.
and studying the daily charts can be done before the open.
This free space can be used for a smaller time frame chart . . .

i have many options . . .

5 minutes or maybe 3/2/1
CVB - for BNF 15K to 30K and for nifty 1L to 3L
CRB - for BNF 15R to 30R and for nifty 5R to 10R
Other format charts . . .

My initial problem / reluctance with other formats is when i switch between NF/BNF
i will have to change the parameters like volume/range/brick size etc . . .
but then I can write a small code (AFL) to take care of that . . .

Anyway will start with fixed time frame chart and then see how it goes . . .

so the choice is between 1, 2, 3 & 5 Minutes :)

1 minute will be too fast, 5 minutes is too common :D

2 minute seems to be ok for BNF & 3 minutes for NF . . .

But need to go with one, so will try out 3 minutes first . . .

Last edited:

augubhai

My initial problem / reluctance with other formats is when i switch between NF/BNF
i will have to change the parameters like volume/range/brick size etc . . .
but then I can write a small code (AFL) to take care of that . . .
Hi Happy,

if u r using amibroker, u can open multiple charts through File->New menu. In each of the charts, you could set and lock the Symbol and Interval. Then, u just need to switch charts, or tile them to view at the same time.

Why AFL? Am i missing something?

Hi Happy,

if u r using amibroker, u can open multiple charts through File->New menu. In each of the charts, you could set and lock the Symbol and Interval. Then, u just need to switch charts, or tile them to view at the same time.

Why AFL? Am i missing something?
Hi

I use a separate monitor to view charts, have a layout in place that displays 4 charts simultaneously (all are symbol linked charts)
i need to just switch the ticker from the drop down at top and it reflects on all 4 charts . . .

Also I am used to the current layout and don't want to disturb it . . .

Now if i choose to use, lets say, a chart with common Volume bars, then need to have different choice of volume for BNF & NF,
but this can be easily done using code where i can set 20 K for BNF and 1.5L for NF depending on which one is selected currently on the chart ...

Thanks

augubhai

Hi

I use a separate monitor to view charts, have a layout in place that displays 4 charts simultaneously (all are symbol linked charts)
i need to just switch the ticker from the drop down at top and it reflects on all 4 charts . . .

Also I am used to the current layout and don't want to disturb it . . .

Now if i choose to use, lets say, a chart with common Volume bars, then need to have different choice of volume for BNF & NF,
but this can be easily done using code where i can set 20 K for BNF and 1.5L for NF depending on which one is selected currently on the chart ...

Thanks

Hi,

If possible, could u share the AFL?

I use Ami version 5.40, and don't know a way to change interval though code. i mean, I know to change price arrays in code using TimeFrame functions, but to change the display on the charts, i still need to select the interval manually.

Hi,

If possible, could u share the AFL?

I use Ami version 5.40, and don't know a way to change interval though code. i mean, I know to change price arrays in code using TimeFrame functions, but to change the display on the charts, i still need to select the interval manually.
hi

The answer to the question "Can we switch the base TF programatically? is don't know, never tried for it yet.

The base time frame does not change but we can display candles of any time frame (compressed)
for e.g. using base TF of tick we can use this code to display CVBs for BNF/NF . . .

Code:
TimeFrameMode( 2 ); 
if (Name()=="BANKNIFTY_F1") TimeFrameSet(25000);
if (Name()=="NIFTY_F1") 	 TimeFrameSet(250000);

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
SetChartOptions(0,chartShowArrows|chartShowDates);
_N(Title = StrFormat("{{NAME}} - {{INTERVAL}} {{DATE}} Open %g, Hi %g, Lo %g, Close %g (%.1f%%) {{VALUES}}", O, H, L, C, SelectedValue( ROC( C, 1 ) ) ));
Plot( C, "Close", ParamColor("Color", colorDefault ), styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() ); 
_SECTION_END();
using the above code, set the show date axis? parameter to NO, as dates/time will not match the displayed TF as the base TF is retained there . . .

augubhai

hi

The answer to the question "Can we switch the base TF programatically? is don't know, never tried for it yet.

The base time frame does not change but we can display candles of any time frame (compressed)
for e.g. using base TF of tick we can use this code to display CVBs for BNF/NF . . .

Code:
TimeFrameMode( 2 ); 
if (Name()=="BANKNIFTY_F1") TimeFrameSet(25000);
if (Name()=="NIFTY_F1") 	 TimeFrameSet(250000);

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
SetChartOptions(0,chartShowArrows|chartShowDates);
_N(Title = StrFormat("{{NAME}} - {{INTERVAL}} {{DATE}} Open %g, Hi %g, Lo %g, Close %g (%.1f%%) {{VALUES}}", O, H, L, C, SelectedValue( ROC( C, 1 ) ) ));
Plot( C, "Close", ParamColor("Color", colorDefault ), styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() ); 
_SECTION_END();
using the above code, set the show date axis? parameter to NO, as dates/time will not match the displayed TF as the base TF is retained there . . .

Thanks Happy, :thumb:

Never thought of this solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.