Day Traders Lounge.

We were earlier discussing about the rise of Indian software / computer industry, I have maintained that we were not overly dependent on USA for this.

Meet Dr. Vijay who singlehandedly made India’s first Supercomputer when USA insulted Indian PM
https://www.theyouth.in/2018/06/03/...qy99I_E06gkdran3a1YvqjaY0zjMUdSR75BDfMy82k658

Also, I distinctly remember that as far back as 1989, CDAC was selling PCBs for Indian language firmware. I remember it very well because Clipper programmers were using it for managing software in sugar factories and co-operative banks in South Gujarat.

We benefited when IBM shut shop in India (?1977). That's when a lot of today's computer majors like HCL computers started, and flourished and exported their expertise. Locally too, University/Board marksheets were printed on line printers since a long time. My 10th & 12th (1979 & 1981) marksheets and certificates were computer printouts.

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
We were earlier discussing about the rise of Indian software / computer industry, I have maintained that we were not overly dependent on USA for this.

Meet Dr. Vijay who singlehandedly made India’s first Supercomputer when USA insulted Indian PM
https://www.theyouth.in/2018/06/03/...qy99I_E06gkdran3a1YvqjaY0zjMUdSR75BDfMy82k658

Also, I distinctly remember that as far back as 1989, CDAC was selling PCBs for Indian language firmware. I remember it very well because Clipper programmers were using it for managing software in sugar factories and co-operative banks in South Gujarat.

We benefited when IBM shut shop in India (?1977). That's when a lot of today's computer majors like HCL computers started, and flourished and exported their expertise. Locally too, University/Board marksheets were printed on line printers since a long time. My 10th & 12th (1979 & 1981) marksheets and certificates were computer printouts.
CDCAC not only developed super computer but were pioneer in using Indian languages in computer in time when no one was interested in bringing hindi, tamil or other fonts to India. However Microsoft & Oracle realised their mistake and did came to CDAC for technical help. CDAC refused to share the indic fonts with them at any cost. This resulted in delay of 3-4 years in getting hindi fonts available on everyone's computer. Also, resulted in loss of employees from CDAC to microsoft/oracle. Employees were offered 2-3 times salary govt was giving. Many joined them, rest who thought they were "patriotic" were stuck in CDAC doing nothing for nation or masses in linguistic development.

Result was complete halt of CDAC's own language development program and 1.3 billion population got to use regional fonts on Microsoft or on internet. I have worked closely with Dr Bhatkar after his retirement, he is pure businessmen and made money by opening and closing lots of firms and (mis) using his status as "padmshri" title.

CDCAC not only developed super computer but were pioneer in using Indian languages in computer in time when no one was interested in bringing hindi, tamil or other fonts to India. However Microsoft & Oracle realised their mistake and did came to CDAC for technical help. CDAC refused to share the indic fonts with them at any cost. This resulted in delay of 3-4 years in getting hindi fonts available on everyone's computer. Also, resulted in loss of employees from CDAC to microsoft/oracle. Employees were offered 2-3 times salary govt was giving. Many joined them, rest who thought they were "patriotic" were stuck in CDAC doing nothing for nation or masses in linguistic development.

Result was complete halt of CDAC's own language development program and 1.3 billion population got to use regional fonts on Microsoft or on internet. I have worked closely with Dr Bhatkar after his retirement, he is pure businessmen and made money by opening and closing lots of firms and (mis) using his status as "padmshri" title.
My point is that Microsoft should not be given undue credit. Gates much bigger businessman than Dr. Bhatkar :). Remember Netscape, the premium internet browser ? It died after Win'95 came bundled with free IE. Dot net was introduced sometime around 2000-1, but MS-Access simply didn't catch on for a long time. The programmers for microcomputers preferred bridging VB with Foxpro, and the scene for mini and mainframes used RDBMS like Oracle or Cobol. So, Microsoft bought the smaller Foxpro, and killed it to port its customers to Access.

Never-ending debate, but I just don't dig Microsoft as a do-gooder, just the finest businessmen of our time.

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
All I was saying was, CDAC could have done good by allowing technology to be shared with micorosft/oracle and earned good money as royalty. Instead, the 5-10 years were filled with small small firms coming up with their own fonts for indian language with no uniform coding.

Everyone knows what microsoft does with competition. They buy them and then shut them.

All I was saying was, CDAC could have done good by allowing technology to be shared with micorosft/oracle and earned good money as royalty. Instead, the 5-10 years were filled with small small firms coming up with their own fonts for indian language with no uniform coding.

Everyone knows what microsoft does with competition. They buy them and then shut them.
Yeah. Maybe China did a good thing by not allowing Windows to be sold there officially until MS came up with a chinese version. Meanwhile, they went merrily about developing their own softwares :)

Kaun Kahn old members zinda hai...Raise your hands.... Mein zinda hoon....