Have u ever seen ur net connection go down?

beginner_av

Have u ever seen ur net connection go down while trading? do u have back up connections? what if ur broker's server is down? do u know what experience traders do? i am asking as i always thought that trading infrastructure is very critical to success...may be we can dicsuss it here :)

C

CreditViolet

Have u ever seen ur net connection go down while trading? do u have back up connections? what if ur broker's server is down? do u know what experience traders do? i am asking as i always thought that trading infrastructure is very critical to success...may be we can dicsuss it here :)
Good question

Here are a few solutions

First and foremost, get two connections atleast, if you are a serious trader the costs are negligible.

One good hardware solution are Dual WAN Routers. One can also use a Switch and use something like Rapid Network Configurator (http://www.winmobiletools.com/) to switch b/w the different IP configs

Also its important to use something like DUMeter ( www.dumeter.com ) to be aware of network traffic.It also has alert features in case the net goes down.

The solution to failed broker connections is to have two online accounts or even an extra offline one so that you can hedge your positions i.e take opposite position in the other account.

Other important things are to keep your drives defragmented, anti-virus and anti-spyware updated and most importantly to keep Windows Updated.

Hope this helps

CV
:eek:

beginner_av

thx cv, u have taken it to a different level altogether...i wanted everyone to know that to be serious in trading u need solid infrastructure and even requseted traderji to have an infrastructure section.

i was expecting answers only based on redundancy in connections (like the one above yours).

can you can give some tips on setting up dual sceens, i am sure u r using it. do u use stuff like matrox graphics cards or use ur agp card's dvi out ot attach two screens?

others are welcome to join in too.

hi CV, can u give some suggestions on the best way to set up dual screen monitors and if any specialized hardware is available to do so?

Hmmm, Winners don't do different things, they do things differently!

:)

BTW, is VGA Splitter/Multiplier/Amplifier of any help?

-----
Edit: Ahh.. missed the date on quoted post by b_av. Late by almost a year. Anyways, is there a better option?

Last edited:
hi CV, can u give some suggestions on the best way to set up dual screen monitors and if any specialized hardware is available to do so?
Get a dual output graphics card like the 256 MB GEFORCE cards on this page : http://www.computerwarehousepricelist.com/productlist.asp?ctg=6

Typical cards are around 2000 Rs. You will also need a DVI to VGA converter (about 250 Rs.) Then you connect both monitors to the same graphics card, and right click your desktop. In the Display properties, Setttings Tab (in Win XP) you will see two monitors. Click the one numbered "2" (you can dragit to reflect its logical position on your desk) and click "Extend my Windows desktop on to this monitor".

Voila, you have a dual monitor setup. For four monitors you need another graphics card, or a four way graphics card.